TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

stroked 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 4:51pm
#6 will always be first on the list of the oh krapp journal issues with 401 engines.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 6:23pm
No, cross/angle drill the journal or just drill one hole 90 degrees on the leading face (when oil pressure can overcome forces and move into the bearing) to create the oil wedge for #6.
It's always lack of oil that causes it (my observation) and therefore the oil wedge is not being carried into the compression stroke. If it's not being created then my thoughts are, create it.
Has anyone done this?

This is from a name brand bearing that we use. It's upside down for perspective, but #6 feeds at the arrow head in the cavitation area of this drawing with oil directional velocity in the wrong direction. My 90 degrees would be wrong, as stated above. By this drawing the best oil wedge would be produced if the oil was introduced approximately 30 degrees further in the direction of rotation from the original feed. If you feed oil 15 degrees before, in the cavitation zone, the oil wedge will be gone at Pmax. This is the only bearing on the 401 crankshaft that is this far off the oil "feed zone".

Edited by Trader - Nov/16/2018 at 9:06pm
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 8:05am

Build it,run it WOT for 30 miles and let us know if it works..

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 8:09am
This was my poor mans solution to the problem. It didn't require any money just time. I have been running it several years in endurance racing and bearings look new.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 8:30am
Ok, that's a novel approach. That would put supply to the bearing just at the start of wedge pressure buildup. Obviously a good location from your results.
The supply - did you drill straight up to the passenger side oil gallery? If so you likely didn't do the usual valley oil line, correct?
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 9:59am
It has the valley line..Supply is from pressurizing the oem pick up passage. I y'd out of the remote filter and ran a line to the side of the block and the other to the oem pressure sending unit location drilled out to 1/2npt.. Blocking the end of the passage kinda sucked cause I still have oil going through the end of that passage from the pick-up.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 10:08am
I capped the 2nd suction line on the bulltear plate. I used a dual pick-up drag pan when it was in a drag car. I could have just used the inlet on the bulltear plate but the block was already modified. and that introduces oil to the side/center of the gears. The bulltear plate improved on the milodon design by introducing oil to the center of the gears but at the end of them and not the side IIRC. I could have used that port like I said but I would never run a single line into a milodon plate.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 11:05pm
those are great ideas, Hurst 390. Any other tidbits for a warmed up a little 360?  Going in a CJ-7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic