TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Strange intermittent auto trans problem--65 classi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strange intermittent auto trans problem--65 classi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2014 at 12:29am
Well I'll get a chance to once I get it back together either later tonight or tomorrow.  I'll pull out the manual and read up on pressure test procedures.  I'm not sure if I've got the fittings to make it work with my gauge though.  Might require a trip to the parts store tomorrow.

I hate putting it back together knowing it's still got to come apart again, but I already allocated the garage for poker night next Saturday and with the holiday this week, there's no way I'll have the parts in time to get it back together and moved by Saturday night.
1965 Rambler Classic 770 Cross Country
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2014 at 8:09am
The sticky valves may have been the problem. Yours was working fine once it started moving, slow to engage. As you press the throttle pressure in the trans comes up too. Your description indicates you had to build a little pressure in the trans before it would shift. The valves should have dropped right out. The fact that it sat up for a bit also indicates the valves sticking may have been the problem. I've revived several BW trannys simply by cleaning the valve body. That might not be the issue, or the whole issue, but you'll soon find out! The new fluid will help also. Make sure the cable is adjusted properly, and check the band adjustments while you have the pan off. One of them adjusts externally (that one's hard to adjust without proper tools!), the other internally.
Frank Swygert
calereeves View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2014 at 2:23pm
But it would quit working if I came to a stop.  Once I shut the engine off, and let it sit for a couple of minutes, I could fire it up, engage drive, and drive off.  Soon as I would stop, nothing.  I'd have to shut the car off, let it sit, then restart.  Never encountered anything like it.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2014 at 10:01pm
Maybe have a leak in one of the units or the pump. Thats not the valve body
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 8:27am
I'm not so sure. The valves control where the oil is going. Once the governor stops turning internal pressure is greatly reduced. That can let a valve release and take a few seconds to build pressure to get it open again.  The pressure regulator is also part of the valve body.

Hmm.... could be a sticky governor too. There is an oval access plate on the passenger side of the output shaft housing. Jack a rear tire up and put the trans in neutral. Take the plate off, then turn the tire until you see the top of the governor. There are two bolts holding it in. Take those out and pull the governor. It's simple, a spring and... well, I don't recall from memory. It will come off and go back in easy though. Pull it, clean it, then reinstall. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two total.

I'm not saying it can't be other issues. Leaking servo o-rings and tube o-rings are common. All those can be fixed without pulling the trans. Only if the pump or clutch pack o-rings (I seem to recall at least one...) are leaking does the trans have to be pulled apart. Most common internal leaks are the servo and/or tube o-rings. You can get a gasket/rubber/seals/rings kit from Northwest Transmission for $52. That has everything you need to replace all that, but the "less steel" kit is $73, master overhaul $87. Might want one of those for the little more $$$.

Edited by farna - Dec/31/2014 at 8:35am
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 9:16am
When I took a valve body apart everything just came sliding out, no coaxing required. With all that sludge you are showing and you say there are only 250 miles on it, my thoughts are to pull the transmission again for a complete tear down to try to find the problem. I get my stuff from Northwest transmission also. Overhaul kits I think are quite reasonable, bands and freight are not. They over-package so as to not have shipping damage. If you do tear it down and find only one part is required, NWTrans will supply it individually. I suspect a broken ring with maybe half of it missing because they are way to easy to mess up. Twice I broke one of the little ones on the sun gear shaft and had to order replacements.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 9:52am
Governor doesn't cause that.   if the governor didn't work, It would not shift. It will have reverse, and 1st.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 2:42pm
I remember having to reorder a set of rings after I broke them the first time.  I'd like to think I was more careful putting in the new set after two-day-air shipping on the replacements.... but I have been known to biff things in the past.

I'm filling it up with fluid right now to get it out of the garage.  She's going to have to sit for a bit while I forget the sting of purchasing the SAME parts twice.  (Three times in the case of the rings.)

It's been almost a year and a half, maybe two years since I rebuilt it.  It sat for a long time while I was deployed, then came back and rebuild the rear axle and prop shaft.  Finally got it back on the road again, then this.  Anybody want to buy a 65 classic wagon?  "Runs great, just a minor shifting problem!" :-)
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 7:54pm
Well that was a waste of $40 in tranny fluid.  Now it won't move at all!  I think all that clutch material that was floating around in the fluid was just about the sum total of whats supposed to be on the clutches!  I pushed it into a longer-term parking spot until I can order a rebuild kit.  Again.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 8:26pm
You probably did something to the valve body.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic