TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Strange intermittent auto trans problem--65 classi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strange intermittent auto trans problem--65 classi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 1:24pm
O-ring for the suction tube is in tact, just up higher than I could originally see.  So now I'm scratching my head again....how do I fix what I don't even know is wrong?? 

I'm about to disassemble the valve body and see if there's trash inside it.
1965 Rambler Classic 770 Cross Country
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 1:33pm
Probably not the valve body. Probably a drum is leaking or a servo is leaking.
calereeves View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 1:48pm
How do I test either one?  The rear servo was holding fluid behind it until I cocked it sideways to look at the o-ring.  Just got the valve body completely disassembled and there was a bunch of sludgy fluid in it.  No big pieces of anything, but the fluid looked horrible inside it.  I'll clean it up and get it back together this afternoon.   

How do I check the drums?  I'll look at the o-ring on the front servo too.  
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 1:52pm
Lots of gunk inside :(

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 2:51pm
Was all the valves in the valve body nice and free? That black stuff. Is clutch material, which tells me you have some clutches that are burned. Pretty much going to have to come out I think
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 2:54pm
After checking the integrity of the front servo and since the transmission is still in the car I don't think you can go much further. You can't check that any of the rings are not broken unless it all comes apart. I don't think a sticking governor would cause it but just a reminder that it is accessible through the plate on the tail housing. What about checking pressure? Maybe consult the TSM on that. I think there is a 1/8 pipe plug accessible for that. I think you mentioned it but just to confirm that piece of aluminum pipe in the picture gets an O-ring on the beaded end.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 3:22pm
Of the two of these that I have had substantially apart neither had any wear on the frictions. I think for that to happen the pressure must be low or there is more power going through that it can handle. I can see broken rings as a cause of low pressure and that shows up a lot in the TSM trouble shooting guide.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 11:47pm
Kills me that I've put maybe 250 miles on the tranny since the rebuild.  Sure sucks when you screw something up...but worse is not yet knowing HOW I screwed it up.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 11:50pm
And yes, I did find that the o-ring on the suction tube WAS in place.  The pistons on the valve body--none of them fell out by themselves, they all needed some coaxing from a small screwdriver, but I wouldn't really call any of them stuck.  Maybe one or two of the smaller ones that needed a little more coaxing, but not sure what the threshold is there.

It's going to take me a week or so to get the rebuild kit from Galvin's, due to shipping to Alaska.  I need the garage freed up, so I reckon I'll clean up the valve body and refill it with some cheap tranny fluid just to get it out of the garage and into a parking spot, then order the rebuild kit.  Again.  Ugh.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2014 at 12:07am
Should have put a pressure gauge on it to begin with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic