TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Strange intermittent auto trans problem--65 classi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strange intermittent auto trans problem--65 classi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange intermittent auto trans problem--65 classi
    Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 2:26am
I finally got most of the problems fixed on my 65 classic wagon. I rebuilt the trans post a year ago and it operated fine, drove it several times and never had a problem. I finally got around to rebuilding the rear end and prop shaft and when I got it back on the ground, I took it to the car wash. I had the engine idling in park while in the car wash, and when I put it in gear to pull out, it wouldn't go anywhere. Pushed it out of the stall and checked the linkage but still nothing. After I shut it down for a couple of minutes and fired it back up, it engaged drive and off I went...until the next stop light. After I sat there, in gear idling, it wouldn't go anywhere, like it was just sitting there slipping. Shut it down for a couple of minutes and it was fine again. It took several of this same sequence to make it home. When I'm driving, it seems fine. Once I stop, it doesn't want to reengage.

Any ideas? Possible something is blocking the filter? Maybe the filter is loose? The fluid level is fine. I pulled it back in the garage tonight to thaw out and get it up on jacks and drop the pan...hopefully that'll tell me something...?
1965 Rambler Classic 770 Cross Country
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 5:36am
The aluminum (small) transmissions have a suction tube with o ring seals. If the connection leaks it draws air into the pump. I would start there.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 10:48am
Possibly one of the shuttles inside the valve body is sticking or a piece of dirt somewhere is causing it. If you had a spare valve body to try it might be easier to isolate the problem. You'd have to take the VB off anyway to check if the above mentioned seal was in place. Also check that those little aluminum tubes are all set into their holes.
calereeves View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 11:49am
Unfortunately I don't have a spare valve body, but I'll pull the pan tonight and check the tubes and the o-ring. 

Thanks!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2014 at 10:30pm
Well heck.  I dropped the pan, fluid smells bad and there were pieces of an o-ring in the front filter.  I'll drop the valve body later after it's finished draining and check out the vacuum servos.  The problem that caused me to rebuild a year or so ago was a bad reverse servo, due to the o-ring failing.  It's possible this could be a piece of the old, failed o-ring that was stuck inside something...but I'll verify when I pull the valve body later.  Always something, huh?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2014 at 10:32pm
Oh, and all the metal tubes were seated pretty firmly.  One of them got about an 1/8" when I pushed on it, but it was still seated plenty in there.  The retaining clip is still on them.

I'm fairly sure it's the aluminum tranny--15 bolts on the pan, and two filters--can somebody confirm?  I've had problems positively IDing anything on this car!  Seems like nothing on it is 'standard.'
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 12:39am
Sounds like what I saw in taking one apart. A piece of O-ring was missing from the rear (first reverse) servo piston. I thought someone must have messed it up trying to install it in the first place because you pretty well have to flip that thing upside down in order to get the O-ring on without damaging it. If it happened in use then that piston end cup must have popped out of the actuator and the piston flipped over. But if that was the case one would think it would stay flipped out of position. I can't see the O-ring coming apart if the piston operates normally perpendicular to the bore.

I don't think there are any vacuum servos in there. They work on oil pressure. 

Vacuum modulators replaced the push/pull cable for shifting in 1967.

Yes I think there are two filters. They even vary from one to the next. 

There should be an identification tag on the back face left or left side closer to the front. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 12:42am
The transmission for a 65 is an M-35.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I don't think there are any vacuum servos in there. They work on oil pressure. 

Vacuum modulators replaced the push/pull cable for shifting in 1967.

You're right, no vacuum. When I rebuilt it before, it seemed like the piston may have over traveled due to a worn band. I put the new bands in when I rebuilt it, and I vaguely remember having trouble with the oring,but can't remember exactly what the trouble was.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 1:01pm
1/R servo o-ring is good.  About to pull the valve body--looks like the suction tube o-ring is missing.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic