TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock Wheel Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinotNoDakDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Wheel Size
    Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 9:31am
I own a 4 door 1964 Rambler 770 Classic with 59000 original miles. It has 15" rims, and as far as I know, they are the original rims. I thought they came with 14" inch rims. Are my fifteen inch wheels an "option"? The "R" hubcaps fit as they should. I want to replace the tires and right now, it has 205 75R 15 tires on it. What tire size would you recommend if I kept the fifteen inch rims? Thank you.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 10:31am
15 inch rims were still an option on the 63 Classic but I do not have a data book for the 64 models so I cannot say for sure.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 12:24pm
The '64 Classic TSM doesn't give wheel sizes, just states that 6.50 x 15 were optional.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
MinotNoDakDude View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinotNoDakDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 7:35pm
Thank you for the reply. I sure appreciate it.
MinotNoDakDude View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinotNoDakDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 7:38pm
I appreciate the help. I'll keep 15s on it. Guess I'll go tire shopping. Take care.
Teamamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 10:23pm
I have 1 NOS 15" if you ever need a spare for your car.  15 x 4.5" i think

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 5:18pm
i too thought 14 was standard and 15 optional, but i dont know where that memory comes from. the 63 TSM says 14 all around, 10 and 80 series (BRAKES AND WHEELS section, two places). but the TSM isn't always authoritative on trivia like that, as AMC was notorious for bolting on all sorts of undocumented stuff (there are at least three different T96 transmission bolt patterns, hence three different bells, for example, none of which is mentioned anywhere).

given that the tire widths claimed were 6.50 to 7.50 they were all no wider than 4.5". watch out for reamed out/egged out lug nut holes on old wheels. that plus inevitable wobbles and dings and rust, i've never found a set of original wheels i'd trust on a daily driver. i just buy new ones, under $100 new each. it is money though.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic