TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock Bore of 196 OHV?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Bore of 196 OHV?
    Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 2:14am
What is the stock bore of a 196 OHV? I was cleaning the pistons up this weekend and noticed that the rods where stamped to tell you which hole they go in and being stamped with a number is a dead give away that the engine has been taken apart by a machinist. So I need to know if the engine was bored so I can buy the right sized rings. I'm not real sure if I'd need the bore of the block or just the diameter of the piston measurement so any help will be appreciated.  Thanks for the help.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 3:27am
Not so fast.  I think AMC did mark the rods and caps, at least on some engines.  I recall they were marked on the 199 in my 1966 American.  It only had 3600 miles on it when I got it.  Had been sitting idle for years, so I dismantled it to hone the cylinders and true up the head.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 3:30am
Interesting. Diffinitely need to measure a see.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2007 at 5:46am
195.6 engines have a 3.125" bore and 4.250" stroke. The rods and caps are numbered from the factory on all I've torn apart. Of the half dozen or more only one was known to have been rebuilt.

Note that the numbers both go on the SAME SIDE of the rod. Note also that the rods have one oil squirt hole on one side. That hole needs to point toward the camshaft. The hole is for oiling the bore, but it throws extra oil at the cam when it's going around the bottom. This isn't necessary, just an added benefit. The caps have a "pimple" on the FRONT side. The rods also have a "pimple" about half way up on the front. The pistons will have a notch in the edge. The notch has to go in front. On the OHV it's obvious why -- the dome on the piston is offset. The L-head pistons are flat tops. The wrist pin may be offset on both, that would explain why the piston is marked for the front. Pistons and rods have to be assembled correctly! I had a machine shop mount the pistons on one I built and assumed they knew what they were doing or had the references -- they built a lot of antique engines of all makes. Needless to say they didn't, and I had piston on rods backwards. They were consistent though!

Edited by farna - Aug/01/2007 at 5:47am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic