TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stock 401 Block/ Stock 401 Crank - Power Output
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock 401 Block/ Stock 401 Crank - Power Output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

iron block half filled, stock crank stroked to 3.80   indy sr heads...
dyno 748 hp,, has been living since 2007....
I would call that dependable....

That sounds like a winner.

Tom
amx390ssc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx390ssc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 9:51am
Any engine from the muscle car era for high end performance  1.8hp -2.0hp per cubic inch is attainable but Very very difficult!!!!!! remember no power adders
1.8 x 401= 721hp................2.0 x 401=802hp ( never heard of one making 802 with iron heads)

good luck!!!
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 10:56pm
where putting together a combination for a local stockblock class that has a couple rules that might change the answer to the above question, 1. no hardblock, don't ask me why i didn't write the rules, rule 2. no billet main caps, factory caps only. i think the idea behind 2 is to keep cost down we are going to use a stud girdle and they don't allow aftermarket cranks so we will be using 3.80 stroke 2.10 journal 401 crank the block is going to 4.185 bore 6.125 rods. were trying keep it under 420inchs which should make a 418. there is a 100lb weight break for being under 420 cubes and we didn't think we would gain enough power from a extra 6-9 cubes to make up for 100lbs on the car. also thicker walls might help with stability since no hardblock. theres a 230cc intake runner limit and we have some 401-srs that adkins is currently working on to port and fill to keep us legal, the cam hasn't been decided yet it'll be a custom ground solid roller we'll work that out once the heads are done any input would be appreciated if you guys no a good cam guy. compression is going to be in the 15.1 range were toying with intakes we have dominator flanged herman lewis and a indy we are also limited to a 950cfm 4150 so the herman lewis would have to be adapted. i'm open to any input on this combo but also curious if you guys think it will live.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 3:31pm
I'm not an expert on block durability,
but what oil mods are you planning?
Is that 15:1 with E85?
how much HP & what RPM are you planning on?
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 4:23pm
Yes on E85 more accurately probably closer to e87-e90 but anyway we ran Ethanol all last year and love the stuff and our carb builder doesn't think it will be an issue. the engine has a custom pan dual external line setup the line in the galley and a few other tricks John does to them, John Garland is assembling it. how much hp idk i hope for more than 650 but we will take what ever we can get out of it plan on shifting at about 7600 and trapping close to 8000 is my goal.
kracex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kracex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 8:08pm
What ET do you need to run at what weight to be competitive?
69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 10:15pm
currently the 1/4 mile record is in the 10.20s 1/8th mile is like a 6.43 however i have a feeling to be really competitive next year you will need to be solidly in the 9.90-9.70 range. and our car has to weight 3100lbs. race weight
kracex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kracex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 7:46pm
You should get there with what you have going on. Call Bullet cams tell them what your doing and where you what it to rev to. What trans you running?
69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 8:20pm
727 torque flight with a brake and about 6000rpm Converter currently. we plan to dyno the new motor when complete and send the sheet off with the converter and get it tweaked to work with new motor combo. 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 8:46pm
I really love posting a topic on any forum only to have  the original subject diluted.

So if you guys do not mind please take your other discussions to your own post and let mine get back to  discussion about stock block/ crank information, not what your car runs, what cam you used, or what transmission/ converter you used, 

Thanks,
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic