TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stock 401 Block/ Stock 401 Crank - Power Output
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock 401 Block/ Stock 401 Crank - Power Output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock 401 Block/ Stock 401 Crank - Power Output
    Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 8:33pm
I was just wondering how much power has been made from a normally aspirated AMC engine using a factory 401 block and and factory 401 crankshaft. I will assume that 4-bolt caps would have been used and the crankshaft would have been treated to all the tricks as well. Friend of mine thinks 600 HP is the best you could get from these pieces and keep it living. I am thinking that there is still room for a lot more than 600 HP if you take care of the parts, so what say you? I am sure there are several guys on here that have done a lot better and lived to tell about it. Thanks Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Oct/28/2017 at 3:11pm
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 7:06am
I know I was in the 850~900 range before going to the dark side of nitrous.  And I believe Bill's blue Rambler is in the 750~800 range.

Is it a question of durability or power potential?  With a iron block and OEM crank I went 7.73 @ 174mph at 2750 pounds which comes out to 1100hp with some spray.  But that was with a completely filled block.  The block and crank can handle 1000hp but I would not want to push it past that very often.
   7.03 @ 196 mph
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:13am
I am a mere babe in the woods when it comes to big numbers like this,
but I would think it would also depend on what he's doing with it.

A 600hp road racer will see things that an 1100hp 1/4 mile racer may never see (and vice versa).

Just like a salt bed racer will see more WOT time than either of those.
Then again, an hour in rush hour traffic might kill any of those three engines.

Is your friend building something to see that max HP for 9 seconds, 9 minutes or 9 hours at a time?

(Just curious)
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 10:26am
The question was posted in the drag race section.  So I would assume that is the application.
   7.03 @ 196 mph
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 11:29am
Originally posted by stickshifter stickshifter wrote:

The question was posted in the drag race section.  So I would assume that is the application.

You are correct, 
sorry
 I should have taken more notice to where this was posted. 
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 4:20pm
nevermind

Edited by Hurst390 - Oct/18/2017 at 5:53am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:06pm
I would have figured Kevin had built a monster with stock parts before moving up to Indy parts.
Probably had home ported iron heads on it as well. Sounds like 800 HP would be a good reliable point.
that wouldn't break a guys wallet to bad. My friend Jeff has a 65 Rambler drag car and wanted to step it up a little. 
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.
Tom
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 8:09pm
This is kinda misleading.  There is a difference between what an OEM crank and block can handle verses what an OEM block, crank, and heads can produce.  In the world of AMC OEM parts, the heads become the limiting factor far before the block and crank.  But that limit is still WAY above the normal for other brand OEM heads.
   7.03 @ 196 mph
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 4:41am
Considerations when stock stroke vs modified stock crank for more stoke?
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 8:35am
iron block half filled, stock crank stroked to 3.80   indy sr heads...
dyno 748 hp,, has been living since 2007....
I would call that dependable....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic