TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock 360 output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 5:31am
Is it just me, or do cast flat tops from Falcon Global cost nearly as much as forged flat top pistons from Wiseco?
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 6:51am
Are you running a stock or aftermarket distributor??
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 6:57am
Stock distributor with a Pertronix conversion.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 5:42pm
Here is a thought, I have a Comp XE262H, laying around, would need a freshen up, might be more suited to a low compression motor? I have the rest of the gear to go with it in terms of valve springs, retainers and locks, would just need to buy a new timing set.

Another 80-100 HP would get me into the 13's theoretically.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 6:17pm
It sounds like you have a lot of stuff you could throw @ this motor, you just need to decided if you're going to keep trying to make it go faster w/o tearing it down or not.

The most recent 390 I tore down the head gaskets (originals) were bad, I knew they were leaking anti freeze externally so I pulled the motor and put in a 390 I already had. When I pulled it apart they were leaking compression also as well as the intake was leaking. 

70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 7:21pm
Ha ha, yes I have a few things I could throw at it like another 360 I could build up or a couple of 401 blocks and cranks, but it all comes down to dollars at the end of the day.

I just need this to run a semi-respectable time so that I can have some fun with it and move onto the next project.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 3:09pm
Amazing how much difference a bit of timing makes:

First 2 runs were with 15 initial, 15 mechanical and 8 vacuum and the second run was the fastest of the night.

Third run I disconnected the vacuum advance and advanced the initial to around 20 deg. Came off the line a little quicker but blew the top radiator hose off on the way down the track, which added a bit of excitement to the night. Probably would have been the best run of the night.

Got back out on the track and the next run was also better in the 60' but slower ET. After that, the times went away a bit, we were pretty much hot lapping by then, so may have just got a little hot. Final run was done in Drive to see how it worked, 1-2 upshift is still coming in a little early.

Good thing is the MPH is up around 93.5, so it's making more power, but 60' time still seems a little slow and there should be a bit more in it.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 5:59pm
Are you getting any wheel spin off of the line?
If so for how many feet?

What are you seeing for RPM @ the end? 
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 6:50pm
No wheel spin, I am running 10” slicks. Just on 5000 RPM across the line.
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 7:47pm
It's trying to tell you it likes timing. At the risk of sounding annoying, I'll tell you it still wants a bunch more.

At 20 degrees initial, which is essentially what you're leaving the line with, it's still going to be a dog. The 10 degrees centrifugal isn't coming in until you're a couple of seconds into your run and quite a ways down the track. It's too little and too late. 

You got your best 60' with the most timing you've left the line with so far and it was still about 15 degrees too little. You need to start moving the car with around 38 degrees. With a less than optimal intake tract and being a little low on compression I bet it would like 40 degrees even more.

Get this timing sorted out so you can leave it alone and start playing with the rest of the tune.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
  Share Topic