TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock 360 output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 7:55pm
Long winded answers are good because that sort of information really helps.

Assuming you are talking 343 flat top pistons, that would certainly add some compression. I've been thinking along the lines of the 280H myself, but not sure how it will go with the stock compression as I'd rather not pull the heads and have it turn into a full rebuild. Comp says the 280H is good for 9:1 compression with 2500 stall so stock 8.5:1 is not too far off.

Carb by the way is a 600 Holley with vacuum secondaries, not exactly a performance carb, just what I had laying around. Did have it on my Javelin in the early days though, it could get 2.4 over the 60' with a lower than stock compression 343 and 2.87 gears, so I sort of think it's not the limiting factor on the Gremlin at the current level.

I did back off the rear brakes because I thought they might be dragging so I think that's ok.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 8:15pm
Just for fun and the ease of doing it try some smaller and narrow tires.  
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 9:56pm
Aside from the spark advance that we already mentioned;

The Performer is kind of ok for a basically stock street driven engine, but it isn't even close to being a racing manifold. It's been argued that it isn't even as good as the stock iron intake, but it's a lot lighter. Any performance increase would likely be as a result of that. The 600 is too small period. If it's on a Performer without a 1'' open spacer, it's way too small. Get a Torker with a 650 double pumper if you can. Run the intake with the exhaust heat. Yes, even at the track. 

The 280H is an amazing cam. Yes it would like a bit more compression, but 8.5 isn't going to make it a turd. It really needs about that much cam. The 4.10 gears will help a lot with offsetting your lack of cr.

Edited by tached_out - Dec/11/2017 at 9:59pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 11:43pm
The Performer is just what was on the motor bit like the Holley is just what I had a the time. I do have a spare Torker, but I do think I need to be making a little bit more power to justify putting it on.

I am in a bit of a dilemma with what to do on the induction side, I'm pretty keen on the Holley Sniper system at the moment since that would theoretically have some additional benefits as far a tuning and data logging goes, but obviously there is a fair bit of cost involved in going down that path.

tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 1:02am
That's my point. The Torker and more carb will make more power.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 1:43am
I can see where you are coming from, but presumably that would only be the case if I also upgrade the cam and valvetrain to support more RPM.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 1:47pm
Exactly, factory cam isn't going to cut it. 4.10 gear and shortish tires aren't going to help with a stock cam either. I've watched a car with "too much" gear slow it down in the 60 foot times...

Do you have the stock spring in the secondaries in that carb? Also, is it a restrictor or a check ball in the diaphragm housing? I just question how quick the are opening.

Also what shape is this engine in, due for a rebuild, any vaccuum leaks, etc. If you're going to stick with the 4.10s, time for a cam and make sure everything is good in there.

Edited for clarifying "60's" as in 60 foot times.

Edited by nda racer - Dec/12/2017 at 10:53pm
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 4:40pm
I have a bunch of secondary springs if you want to play around with that Western, PM me if you are interested.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Exactly, factory cam isn't going to cut it. 4.10 gear and shortish tires aren't going to help with a stock cam either. I've watched a car with "too much" gear slow it down in the 60's.

Do you have the stock spring in the secondaries in that carb? Also, is it a restrictor or a check ball in the diaphragm housing? I just question how quick the are opening.

Also what shape is this engine in, due for a rebuild, any vaccuum leaks, etc. If you're going to stick with the 4.10s, time for a cam and make sure everything is good in there.
That was my point on the first page about the gearing in a factory stock 360. I thought it was past its power peak and slowing down.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 8:00pm
Carb tuning is not my forte, that's why I was leaning towards the Sniper.

The car is still very much a work in progress and then initial focus was just to get it up an running without spending too much money. Engine condition is a bit of an unknown, so the plan there was to see how it did run and if it was ok, then look at some bolt on changes like cam, carb and intake.

Unlike the usual approach, the car is being built from the back towards the front. The only usable part of the AMC 20 that I had was the housing and brakes plus some Moser axles that I'd originally bought for something else. A truetrac centre and the 4.10 gears were added to this as it seemed like the way to go for something that was not going to be street driven. I'm a bit surprised that the 4.10 gears would be a hindrance with a low powered car other than running out of steam at the end of the strip, which was anticipated. But if that is the case than I will have to live with it until I can upgrade other areas to match. There is more money in the rear end than the rest of the car at the moment.     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
  Share Topic