TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock 360 output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 12:35am
So where is the best place to start with this? I'm thinking it has to be either be tuning, convertor or transmission related. I also have a rear main leak that I will have to deal with. Would ideally like to correctly diagnose the problem, then pull it apart if necessary to fix it.

It's running a 600 vacuum secondary carb, which is probably not an ideal long term solutions and a relatively stock stall is probably not ideal either.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 2:23am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 8:05am
Went over some of the basics tonight, seems like I had the initial timing set at 5 degrees and I have about 15 degrees of mechanical advance for 20 total, this was with the vacuum advance disconnected, I've bumped the initial up to 15, which gives me 30 total. I didn't have the vacuum advance connected the first night, but did the second time out, couldn't quite verify what it was doing though.

Also checked manifold vacuum was 18 in/hg at idle in neutral and dropped down to 10 idling in drive. From about 1 turn out of the idle mixture screws, there is no appreciable increase in idle speed or vacuum.

I would also like to run a compression check just to see if the numbers are reasonable. If I do need to change the convertor and/or rear main seal, then it could be a good opportunity to bump up the cam while I'm at it, assuming the motor is reasonably healthy.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 7:00pm
Pics from the strip, got the look, just need to go faster

wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 8:00pm
Nice Gremlin.

---Are you sure the throttle plate is opening all the way with foot to the floor? (adjust cable/linkage)
---getting enough fuel squirt from the accelerator pump?
---what kind of engine vacuum are you getting (inches and how does the needle behave as you rev it)
---maybe you have a flat cam lobe or loose timing chain (retards valve timing =kills low end power)
---leak down test might be a good thing to try
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 9:39pm
Thanks for the ideas.

---Are you sure the throttle plate is opening all the way with foot to the floor? (adjust cable/linkage)

Yes, but it's a vacuum secondary carby, so I should verify that the secondaries are opening, pretty sure they are.

---getting enough fuel squirt from the accelerator pump?

I am getting a shot from the accelerator pump, couldn't tell you if it is enough though. I did back the adjustment off on the linkage since it was a bit tight (partly depressed at zero throttle), but didn't notice any difference in performance

---what kind of engine vacuum are you getting (inches and how does the needle behave as you rev it)

Vacuum at idle numbers are above, 18 idling in neutral, 10 idling in drive, need to make some more observations here by the looks of it.

---maybe you have a flat cam lobe or loose timing chain (retards valve timing =kills low end power)

I did change the timing chain but only for another better used one, flat cam is also a possibility, I don't really have any history on the engine other than it was a runner. MPH suggests it is making reasonable power for a stocker.

---leak down test might be a good thing to try

Yes, should probably do that as well as a compression test.

Basically I didn't want to get bogged down in needing to rebuild the engine, so just wanted to run it as is. If it's ok, I can just live with some minor upgrades like a carby and cam change with the prospect of building a good motor sometime in the future.

My thoughts would be to run a Comp 280H or similar and add a decent amount of stall to the convertor.
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 10:30pm
in highschool i would bracker race our 1968 ambassador 4door stock converter stock 2.90 gears with a low compression 343 with comp 280h cam, r4b, 1 5/8s hookers and a malory unilite dizzy it would run 15.70s at 90 with around a 2.2 60ft no slicks just open legged stock axle. i was always curious what that combo would've done in a gremlin or hornet with a decent gear.
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 10:32pm
i would check you ignition advance and make sure you've got 38ish degrees as soon as possible.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 11:05pm
Well, I've now got 10 degrees more than I had previously, but haven't had the opportunity to road test it yet.
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 8:51am
I also meant to mention - how's the balancer? I wonder if it slipped and you aren't getting the right timing mark anymore. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic