TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock 360 output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 4:54am
Oh the joys of laying on your back under the car with transmission fluid dripping on your face. At least it's done now, CRT reverse manual valve body, billet low/reverse servo and home made blocker rod in the accumulator. This better be worth at least a tenth or two, assuming it doesn't blow up on the first pass.

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2018 at 9:28am
Success 

It wasn't all roses, took me all night to get there, first run left in 2nd, second run shifted straight from 1st to 3rd, 3 run left in 2nd again, 4th run shifted into top but them bumped it back into 2nd, 5th and final run I finally managed to get through all 3 gears into the correct order and ran a new PB for this car. I'm going to have to look a little more closely at the shifter to see if I can make it a little more reliable.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2018 at 10:37am
Good job! Good thing it's an automatic  Wink
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 1:06pm
I have a forward manual VB in the 727 in my 74 Gremlin.....love it....

what is your track elevation....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 4:50pm
Track elevation is about 100 ft above sea level, it's not far off the beach, so can't get much better than that.

The trouble with the factory shifter is that with the reverse pattern valve body you need to hold the button down to go from 1st to 2nd and not from 2nd to 3rd, really needs to be the other way around, so I might have to have a look at modifying the shift gate. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 3:44pm
Another night at the track and my special new race shifter solved my gear selection problems

Also made some slapper bars to address axle windup issues, which seem to be working as intended but didn't really yield any significant gains on the strip. I did manage to run a new PB of 13.985 @ 98.4 mph, but that's only slightly better than last weeks 13.995 @ 98.1. The 60' times didn't improve at all, so maybe I've hit the wall as far as getting it off the line goes.

Little bit of video of the new bits in action:

Edited by WesternRed - Mar/07/2018 at 3:47pm
spiritdude View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiritdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 9:10pm
WesternRed,
You need to address the 60 foot time.  With your rearend ratio, a Gremlin with stock 360 should go in the 12s and be capable of 1.7-1.8 60' times.  I have had a couple cars with stock 360s with a 600cfm vac secondary holley in the high 12s.  Junk the Performer intake, they don't even belong on 304s.  It will go faster with a stock cast iron 4 barrel!  Headers will help tremendously even on a stock 360.  Don't be afraid to put a bigger cam in it because of the low compression.  I have 8.5 compression engines with .600 lift cams in them.  Just get the one with the RPM range you are looking for.  Ideally, your converter stall speed should be at least where the bottom end of the power range of the cam is or you will have to overcome that.  If you ever put the torker intake on, plan on at least 750cfm.  Although, your sniper should take care of that.
spiritdude    

Edited by spiritdude - Mar/08/2018 at 9:16pm
spiritdude
1982 Spirit-10.865 @123.16mph
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 10:53pm
I think a cam change is the next cab off the rank, just need to accumulate a few more bits to make the changeover. Probably put the Torker on while I’m at it, the Sniper is somewhere around 800 cfm and supposed to support 600 HP, so probably a while before I outgrow that.

Also have to look at the exhaust, probably a bit to gain with bigger pipes and some high flow mufflers even without stepping up to headers.

Seems like I need about another 60 HP to dip into the 12’s. Current MPH suggests around 230 HP and maybe another tenth or two to be found in the ET without changing anything.

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 6:44am
That motor stock should have been 285 hp, I doubt age, with what you've added has taken away that much power.

Headers and intake is a days work. Used headers are easy to find here and cheap, I know the shipping will cost you. Besides what you're loosing off the line with the tires, they're definitely the key to your next big improvement in time.   
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 7:52pm
Headers are probably not that much of a stretch in the scheme of things, looks like $150-200 to ship a set of Super Comps down under. On of the reasons I converted this car back to left hand drive (had previously been converted to right hand drive for Aussie road use) was to be able to buy off the shelf headers for it. Will look at that once the cam, valvetrain and intake are sorted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
  Share Topic