TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Still leaking...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 11:36am
Not gonna lie though, bit nervous to do the rebuild myself. Like I said I do have the front pump seal pictured in the links above but the one on there now looks to be new.

I don't see much info or documents on these rebuilds and the rebuild kits are just the gaskets and such not including servo bands etc. I might just take it to a shop unless I can get some good info and steps to walk me through or at least a blow up the correct trans so I can try and do it myself.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 5:23pm
I've rebuilt one of those, easiest auto to rebuild, I think. But PLEASE read the TSM really good first! That's all I had when I rebuilt mine. You don't want to just pull things apart, they need to come apart in a certain order, and some things may fall out if you just pull it apart. The front pump should come out, but is likley stuck after all those years together -- gasket probably has it stuck in. 
Frank Swygert
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I've rebuilt one of those, easiest auto to rebuild, I think. But PLEASE read the TSM really good first! That's all I had when I rebuilt mine. You don't want to just pull things apart, they need to come apart in a certain order, and some things may fall out if you just pull it apart. The front pump should come out, but is likley stuck after all those years together -- gasket probably has it stuck in. 

I wouldn't just pull things apart. I've seen the rebuild kits and they look to just be a bunch of washers gaskets o rings etc. No instructions? Lol. Guess if you order one of those you know what you're doing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 5:34am
That's about what the rebuild kits are -- no clutches or bands, those are ordered separately. You might be able to get a "master kit" with everything from Northwest Transmission Parts. I know you can get everything from them. The kits don't have instructions -- you need a good manual (like the TSM) for that. I don't think I had anything but an old Chilton's manual when I rebuilt my first one, and the USAF Hobby Shop had a set of professional manuals I may have referred to, but don't recall using those. Probably didn't go back far enough. It was pretty easy, the only hard part was getting the center shaft sealing rings (look like little piston rings) in. The trick is to pack them in vaseline, then clamp down with a hose clamp and throw in the freezer for about four hours. Pull it out and remove clamp then install immediately. The frozen vaseline holds the teflon rings compressed, dissolves easily in ATF. I managed without that, and cracked one of the three (think it was three)...

The thing is, my trans still didn't work when I was done! Had a shifting, not slipping, issue -- the reason I tore it down. I didn't know it had been rebuilt just a few years before it was parked... found out when the clutches I was taking out looked just about as good as the ones I was putting in! At that point I went ahead and put the new parts in anyway. Turned out to be a valve body issue. I took it to a shop who agreed to tear it apart, but said they's have to charge me for a rebuild, just nothing but a gasket set though. Didn't work when they got through either, and said the only thing they found wrong was those cracked rings -- which shouldn't have caused an issue. Ended up replacing the valve body, it just wouldn't clean! Either a passage wore through or something was "hard stuck" in it somewhere.

Edited by farna - Jan/23/2018 at 5:38am
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 6:09am
Is there an ATSG manual available on that old of a tranny? They're really good.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 6:30pm
Ok so an update on this trans.

I took it to a shop and turns out it was all messed up seals servos the works. Got it rebuilt as well as the torque converter

I was ready to install it soon as I got home but be fore I left I started talking to the shop owner and he said the person that rebuilt the torque converter said to make sure to check the fly wheel because it was probably bent or not installed properly and it cause the torque converter to have some broken parts in it as well as contributed to the transmission (aside from being scored and cracked etc) leaking...

He suggested to get a new one and save myself the headache of installing it and possibly having to retake it off to have it replaced. I agree.

Is there a way to check to see if its bent. He mentioned to use a caliper to measure the distance from the torque converter.

Any ideas. Ask me any questions if you need me to clarify. I got bits and pieces of what he was saying because it was really loud and windy in the shop and I was on the phone with the other mechanic.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 6:40pm
Don't have a flywheel with an automatic, you have a flexplate (which holds the starter ring gear and bolts up to the torque converter)
The hub of the converter should index into the back of the crankshaft and for a flexplate to have issues means something BIG happened to it at some point. They don't simply "bend".
To check, you can measure from the ring gear to a point on the back of the block, then rotate it a quarter turn and measure again, and so on. If you detect deviation, then it's warped or "bent".
It should turn true - meaning as you turn the engine over by using a wrench or some other means of turning it over manually, the flexplate's edge - the ring gear, should stay exactly the same distance from a specific point on the block. 
If as you rotate the engine by hand you don't get any differences in the distance from the edge of the flexplate, or the edge of the flex plate to the back of the block, it's not warped or bent.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Don't have a flywheel with an automatic, you have a flexplate (which holds the starter ring gear and bolts up to the torque converter)
The hub of the converter should index into the back of the crankshaft and for a flexplate to have issues means something BIG happened to it at some point. They don't simply "bend".
To check, you can measure from the ring gear to a point on the back of the block, then rotate it a quarter turn and measure again, and so on. If you detect deviation, then it's warped or "bent".
It should turn true - meaning as you turn the engine over by using a wrench or some other means of turning it over manually, the flexplate's edge - the ring gear, should stay exactly the same distance from a specific point on the block. 
If as you rotate the engine by hand you don't get any differences in the distance from the edge of the flexplate, or the edge of the flex plate to the back of the block, it's not warped or bent.
I'd agree. I've seen bent flexplates. But that's a whole different thing. Did the shop install the transmission or did you?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 6:57pm
I've seen them CRACK, I've seen 'em come loose and rattle, but the only one I've seen "warped" or "bent" was because someone worked on the car and damaged it. It's not a part that will bend by itself, all things being normal and equal. 
And I suspect that's why Tom asked his last question.
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 7:01pm
Just looked at it now and you're right no flywheel and I do see the flex plate.

I haven't checked it yet but I will.

I got the car as is and ran into the issue with the trans that's why I took it to get rebuilt. I'll be checking it as billd mentioned and will hope it's not bent. Of it is it shouldn't be to expensive. I just dont wanna wait on shipping lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic