TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Still leaking...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

If all you did was replace the filter and pan gasket I cannot see cracking the transmission case in any way unless you placed a jack under it.
pacerman would be on the right track in that foaming "could" happen and the fluid has been blown past the shaft seal or dislodged the seal if the transmission case pressurized.
My first thoughts are to try a careful refill, let it sit a few hours, start the car in neutral, and see what happens.
If the case is cracked the fluid should weep out a little in the wait time.

Yeah, I didn't lift up the car by the transmission, ha ha. 

I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the transmission. It looks odd to me that it has that opening and I can see into the transmission itself and some of the innards. 

I found these pictures and Im 99% sure this is my trans...  I circled the area where I see the hole in mine. I also circled the top of the trans and Im thinking that its just because it is air cooled thats the reason the top ones are there. 

I'm not sure about the bottom area though. Is this normal?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49909972@N08/shares/5PQEL3

found them here:  http://www.charlietranny.com/BWT35. - http://www.charlietranny.com/BWT35.htm

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 10:09pm
Experts on the M36 please. I don't have the TSM for this and the leak may be the torque converter but why/how?
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

Experts on the <span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">M36 please. I don't have the TSM for this and the leak may be the torque converter but why/how?</span>

I've combed through TSM but I may have missed it... appreciate the help guys.

Just trying to get this Rambler on the road
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 6:24am
Check fluid with the trans in NEUTRAL -- not Park. I thin the TSM says Park, but Borg-Warner material from the 60s always says Neutral. There is some oil flow in neutral that isn't in park, so the level will read a bit lower in neutral than park. There is an air vent on top of the trans that will leak a little fluid if you over fill. Mine almost ALWAYS leaked a little fluid out that vent, did for YEARS. I'd rather it leak a little than burn up for lack of fluid though. I finally found the info to check level in neutral, and that stopped most of the leaking. I still put in a little too much on occasion...
Frank Swygert
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Check fluid with the trans in NEUTRAL -- not Park. I thin the TSM says Park, but Borg-Warner material from the 60s always says Neutral. There is some oil flow in neutral that isn't in park, so the level will read a bit lower in neutral than park. There is an air vent on top of the trans that will leak a little fluid if you over fill. Mine almost ALWAYS leaked a little fluid out that vent, did for YEARS. I'd rather it leak a little than burn up for lack of fluid though. I finally found the info to check level in neutral, and that stopped most of the leaking. I still put in a little too much on occasion...

Yeah the service manual shows 2 ways to check it.

1) "cold" which is lile you said to run the trans through the gears then leave it in neutral with the parking brake on and on a level ground.

2) to drive around town roughly 15 miles then Check.

I can tell you that's not the issue. I wish it was.

I top it off to the service manual specs then it's all good.

I drive around town and once it is hot it leaks out through the areas I've shown you guys.

I sent an email off to "Charlie's Tranny" he wrote back saying "Seems like a front seal leak. That is almost always caused by internal slippage causing excess heat build-up. It almost always requires a rebuild"

So that's where I'm at right now.

Edited by Jjtxaz - Oct/02/2017 at 9:44am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2017 at 6:05am
The front seal can leak simply because of age and wear also. If it's original it's probably stiffened up over the years, and of course will have some wear. Could be wear on the converter neck also. A new seal might be in order! If it's leaking from the front of the trans definitely. The shift lever seal isn't hard to replace either, and IIRC it's just an o-ring. Have to drop pan to get to it. If you pull the trans may as well have him replace that also. If it's leaking from the TOP of the trans  through that vent it's being slightly over filled. Could be heat causing the fluid to expand more than normal, but I'm a but skeptical. Running the trans at the low mark instead of full, or between the two, won't hurt. If that reduces the leaking then over filled is the problem. Could be heat causing fluid to expand more, so while the trans is out have the bands adjusted also. Can't adjust clutches, but a slipping band will heat things up just as much as slipping clutches (or more).
Frank Swygert
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:14am
Accidentally posted in the wrong thread yesterday.

Ok so i finally got a chance to drop the transmission (works been busy and spent the holidays sick)

Here's what I got. It was covered in probably years of dirt/oil grime. Cleaned it up a little.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/javio24/1969%20AMC%20Rambler/20180121_202530.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/javio24/1969%20AMC%20Rambler/20180121_202704.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/javio24/1969%20AMC%20Rambler/20180121_202750.jpg

Initially I thought the issue was a front pump oil seal but as you can see that seems to have been replaced.

I didn't put a picture of the bell housing but if I can find one to replace it I might. I'm gonna take it to a transmission shop where they offered to diagnose it for free.

I hope they can find out the issue and not a "yeah you need a full rebuild, it's gonna be $400+ parts"

Also, I'm confused as to which transmission this is. The TM and countless Google searches say it's a M36 or M37 the data plate on the left side of the transmission is faded and I can barely read the SN.

Do you think that adjusting the transmission pressure would fix the issue? I never even thought of adjusting that. In theory it would make sense if it is over pressurized and not at the correct pressure it's what causes it to leak. Maybe I'm just rambling on (ha get it, rambler/rambling)

It's late. Hope you all can help. Let me know what else I can show you all to hopefully help me fix this myself.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:42am
Should be a M-36 as the TSM says. Could be a 37 or 4x series. Is it air cooled or liquid cooled?

Adjusting the pressure might help. You could have an internal leak from a bad seal. You can get a seal kit from Northwest Transmission Parts. The servos are easy to remove and install new seals in, and may be leaking (they hold the bands). Front band is applied in second gear, so if it's slipping that could be the case. Adjust it first! With the trans out you can easily adjust both bands. Front band requires a 0.250" gauge block. You can cut a piece of 1/4" plate steel and use it in a pinch, but that's not going to be 100% accurate -- measure the steel with a set of calipers first. It will probably be a couple thousandths off. You can use in conjunction with a feeler gauge if it's a bit thin, if it's a bit thick you should be okay as long as it's just a couple thousandths of an inch... or sand/grind it down. A couple thousandths won't make much difference, if it's slipping there is a lot more wear than that!

Since you have it out I'd get the seal kit and replace all easy to get to seals, adjust the bands, then remove and thoroughly clean the valve body. You obviously have a TSM, so that last step won't be that hard. Just make sure everything is kept as clean as possible when you reassemble and you should be good, as long as the bands and clutches are in decent shape.
Frank Swygert
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 7:16am
It is an air cooled trans.

I tried to take the front pump off by just removing the bolts holding it but it didn't wanna come off and I didn't try and bang it out either. TM is good but doesn't go to munch into detail. I never felt the trans slip until it was low on trans fluid, which is a common thing when you're low on fluid.

I'll have to do a bit more research and hopefully get to rebuild it myself.

I have the trans out now and it's making me just wanna pull the engine and clean them both up real good as well as the engine bay. Mod it right so it looks good.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 10:20am
I have not read the whole thread but the shift shaft seal is a common source of BW tranny leaks.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic