TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

stick to auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will 258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stick to auto
    Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 6:06pm
     HI I am taking out a 3 speed stick and putting in a 3speed auto on the back of a 196 in a 1960 Rambler super ..I would like to know what has to be changed other than flywheel ..and shim in the end of the
   crank shift ..any help will help ..will

Aim changing to push button and all the help I can get will be greatly appreciated ....all the parts are on the way should be here next week ..want to get everything lined up so when the parts get here I will know what to do some what ....will       

Edited by Will 258 - Apr/23/2014 at 9:28am
AMC CARS & TRUCKS ALL OF THEM
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 3:34pm
Depending on the length of the transmission tailshaft you might have to replace your driveshaft. I doubt you will be able to use the same slip-yoke either, but could be wrong.
Will 258 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will 258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 5:10pm

HI   snotty
    I am going to change the trans torque tube and rear end ..from the same car over to mine ..every thing is rebuilt or new   a lot of work for 4 days ..that is when I have help after that I aim on my on . ben there before ....will     
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 1:40pm
Ah, I forgot about those torque tubes!!! If you have already sourced that stuff from a donor car, excellent!
Will 258 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will 258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2014 at 8:10am

HI yes I have all that stuff from two barrel carb to the auto rear end and push buttons and cables. intake every thing ....now just have to put in car ....some people thank I am nuts for changing this but I am 67 years old and my legs are bad and cant operate the clutch .so in order to enjoy my car I am doing this .Its not every day you find a rust free 1960 rambler super .when I went to look at the car I though I would look at another rusty rambler but was I surprised ....will    
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 11:31am
I understand. I'm 55 but not there yet with the knees, but I do appreciate an hydraulic clutch!!
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 2:24pm
Interesting...

I'm 53 next month and I kept the T5 and big rump 10.9" clutch in the Rambler.

My right shoulder has a partial replacement that sucks. Have spinal cord stimulator for the pain, the stim also sucks. Had a scope and part of the cartilage snipped out of my left knee 18 years ago...Not to mention the four fractured vertebrae and imploded collarbone that took a pin placed through it lengthwise to hold it lined up while it regrew the missing parts...

Yet, I still kept the stick! I figure it is a car I rarely drive and I'm leaving it a stick to have fun with. It makes me feel young-ish again and I rarely notice the pain until the trip is done!

The old non synchro first gear trans would likely have me swapping it out though.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Will 258 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will 258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 5:32pm
HI thanks for the reply and for making me fell better ....The car has ben seating there for 5 years and this opportunity came a long and I jumped on it ....I have all ways wanted a push button rambler so now I will have one .and be able to drive my car I want to go to Tennessee this summer in the rambler long story ....thanks will          
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2015 at 6:31pm
This reply is a year late but better late than never. I have a 60 Amercian with the f head 196.  The crankshaft and pilot bearing design will not accept the automatic  trans.  I wanted to put a rebuilt Flashomatic on and it is impossible.  The cranks are different in my model at least.

Now I'm looking for an 196 OHV 6 that had an auto trans so I can make the swap that way.  I figured I'd get the extra horsepower to make up for the 15% loss with the auto.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2015 at 1:22am
Originally posted by RonFrancis RonFrancis wrote:

This reply is a year late but better late than never. I have a 60 Amercian with the f head 196.  The crankshaft and pilot bearing design will not accept the automatic  trans.  I wanted to put a rebuilt Flashomatic on and it is impossible.  The cranks are different in my model at least.

Now I'm looking for an 196 OHV 6 that had an auto trans so I can make the swap that way.  I figured I'd get the extra horsepower to make up for the 15% loss with the auto.

Isn't there a complete 196OHV/Auto combo for sale in the FOR SALE section of this forum? Sounds like what you're looking for.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic