TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Steering Not Centered After Gear/Pitman Arm Work
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering Not Centered After Gear/Pitman Arm Work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 8:01am
I believe that Stretch has done first, second and third from reading the post through.
As Build pointed out, something else is wrong, bent or just wrong part and with Stretch's old box he had an extra 1/4 turn on one side.
Fourth is the likely problem and it seems to have existed before the new box was installed.
If nothing is bent then at some point in time wrong part(s) were installed if adjustment cannot be made without changing the first, second or third.
If all other parts are in good condition, Moog makes many lengths of adjuster sleeves. If your coming up short on one side this is the easiest and safest fix;

Edited by Trader - Aug/16/2018 at 8:12am
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2020 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Stretch Stretch wrote:

Brand new flexible coupling, brand new pitman arm, rebuilt (not the original) steering box. With the new gear box centered lock-to-lock, and the steering wheel lined up, the wheels were too far off center to align. You're probably right about the box being incorrect. Pulling it off is my next step.

Stretch, hoping you can tell me what you found.

I have exactly the same problem you described in your first post.
Have two AMX's both a little over 4 turns lock to lock. ( Full lock in this case is hitting on the lower control arm stop before gearbox travel limit ).

Project AMX I am working on now is a little over 3 turns lock to lock.  ( Full lock here is end of travel in the steering gearbox and hitting lower control arm stop about the same time ).
 As you said one tie rod right out one up tight.
 Same saginaw #7800746 steering gearbox in all three cars. 
The one in the project car doing one less turn lock to lock has an "F" stamped on the pitman shaft cover. Am thinking it may have been rebuilt sometime.
 Something different about that box.   Doesn't leak at all and not wanting to pull it apart.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2020 at 12:27pm
Was the splined upper sector disconnected at some point?. If so its easy to get those splines off by a few as there is no keyway to prevent it going on wrong but there is a pin that fits against a flat that is hard to get just right once you take it apart. Had that problem in my car after I replaced the couplings and box. Was off by about the same as yours. You have to pull the box back out to correct unfortunate as there isnt enough room to tap out the upper sector. I was able to get mine very close after I did this
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2020 at 9:55pm
There's a fairly standard procedure for putting in new steering boxes, or work that affects steering wheel centering. I've done all the short cuts and they don't work :-)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by XJ6 XJ6 wrote:

Was the splined upper sector disconnected at some point?. If so its easy to get those splines off by a few as there is no keyway to prevent it going on wrong 

Huh, the manual Saginaw box in my 68 american and the Gemmer in the 61 both have a funny spline so that they only go on in one position. I'm fairly sure, now you're making me wonder!

But yeah in general, the steerping box, column (if applicable), steering wheel need to be centered before the linkage is mounted so you have a reference for adjusting tie rods to center steering.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2020 at 5:50am
 Researching the subject I found saginaw offered different ratio steering boxes. 
Then looking on APD I noticed " remanufactured steering gear, quick ratio, 3 turns lock to lock " is listed. 

Think this AMX has this quick ratio cos without the pitman arm fitted the steering wheel has 3 turns lock to lock.
With the pitman arm and steering linkage fitted, same three turns goes from one lower control arm stop to the other. 
 I changed the pitman arm and got the tie rods almost even, steers well.
3 turns of the wheel instead of 4 seemed a problem at first, now looks good.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic