TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering Gearbox upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 7:08am
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

hi, another option is to send you box to www.powersteering.com. in Nixa, MO. Marty will rebuild your box with any ratio you like, the 12.7 being the best performance upgrade, that way you have no swap/fabrication/turn radius issues. 10.0-1 may be too much for a cruiser, make the car real twitchy. just had him redo an 82 Eagle box for me, kept it @14.0-1. real good work. btw, if you need o-ring box to flared line adapters, the part# is: CLP-605SOL, from Classic parts, or through Summit. good luck, gz

So this one... its not a bad price... that other place had theirs going for $400!

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/product/18501qw/
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 7:54am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

hi, another option is to send you box to www.powersteering.com. in Nixa, MO. Marty will rebuild your box with any ratio you like, the 12.7 being the best performance upgrade, that way you have no swap/fabrication/turn radius issues. 10.0-1 may be too much for a cruiser, make the car real twitchy. just had him redo an 82 Eagle box for me, kept it @14.0-1. real good work. btw, if you need o-ring box to flared line adapters, the part# is: CLP-605SOL, from Classic parts, or through Summit. good luck, gz

So this one... its not a bad price... that other place had theirs going for $400!

I heard of these guys too - but of course, after I had already sent 2 boxes to RedHead.  arrrgh.

And don't worry about the ratio being too quick - if your alignment and condition of the bushings/balljoints etc is all good and solid, the car will drive like a modern car.  The real difference is just in the number of turns lock to lock - all you are doing is bringing that number down to what modern automobiles use - roughly 3 turns, vs the 5 - 7 turns for the old PS boxes.  you'll love it.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

I heard of these guys too - but of course, after I had already sent 2 boxes to RedHead.  arrrgh.

And don't worry about the ratio being too quick - if your alignment and condition of the bushings/balljoints etc is all good and solid, the car will drive like a modern car.  The real difference is just in the number of turns lock to lock - all you are doing is bringing that number down to what modern automobiles use - roughly 3 turns, vs the 5 - 7 turns for the old PS boxes.  you'll love it.
If my memory is correct, the AMC PS boxes were 4 turns lock to lock in the 68/9 AMX and Javelin, and maybe all AMC cars , and 3.3 turns beginning in 1970. 
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 8:49am

[/QUOTE] If my memory is correct, the AMC PS boxes were 4 turns lock to lock in the 68/9 AMX and Javelin, and maybe all AMC cars , and 3.3 turns beginning in 1970. [/QUOTE]

My 77 Matador and 73 Gremlin and 74 Javelin were 5 7/8 turns L to L as OE.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 8:52am
My manual 71 box was a bear in parking lots and was about 4 turns or so lock to lock. Quicky decided modern power steering was the way to go. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

If my memory is correct, the AMC PS boxes were 4 turns lock to lock in the 68/9 AMX and Javelin, and maybe all AMC cars , and 3.3 turns beginning in 1970. [/QUOTE]

My 77 Matador and 73 Gremlin and 74 Javelin were 5 7/8 turns L to L as OE.
[/QUOTE] My 70 AMX and 71 SC/360 are both 3-1/3. Maybe some are different.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:09pm

My 72 Javelin PS is just shy of 3.5 turns, so 3.3 could be correct.

Be careful of buying so-called "quick ratio" boxes, as it's all relative.  Compared to some of the 60s cars, we already have a quick ratio box in the Javelin and AMX.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 15:1 is what I remember the '69 AMX being, so just make sure you find out what ratio you'd be getting.  12.7:1 mentioned earlier seems like it would be just about right for our cars.  

My Ford Focus ST has 13.7:1 around center and quickens to 10.1:1. It felt like a go-cart to me when I first got it, but I love it now!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

My 72 Javelin PS is just shy of 3.5 turns, so 3.3 could be correct.

Be careful of buying so-called "quick ratio" boxes, as it's all relative.  Compared to some of the 60s cars, we already have a quick ratio box in the Javelin and AMX.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 15:1 is what I remember the '69 AMX being, so just make sure you find out what ratio you'd be getting.  12.7:1 mentioned earlier seems like it would be just about right for our cars.  

My Ford Focus ST has 13.7:1 around center and quickens to 10.1:1. It felt like a go-cart to me when I first got it, but I love it now!
I seem to remember reading that power steering was 17.5:1 on the 69 AMX with 4 turns lock to lock. However, I am going off memory from reading something 48 years ago when the cars were new. I may be wrong. I am sure about the 70 AMX though. It is a variable ratio of 16:1 to around 13:1 (maybe 12.8) with 3.3 turns.

The manual on AMX and SC/360 was 20:1 with 5 turns. Quick ratio manual on AMX and Javelin was 16:1 with 4 turns. Most AMC cars with standard manual steering was 24:1 with 6 turns. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:35pm
I'm going from memory too. I contacted a rebuild shop in Phoenix about making mine a "quick ratio" and he told me it already was 15:1 or thereabouts... definitely no more than 16:1. I counted the number of turns on my car at the time and calculated that he was correct.  The car isn't here right now so I can't double check. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 7:11am
I will check my turn to lock ratio when I get home today. I guess at this point.. I am just going to go back to a stock with a new rag joint... its just going to be cheaper overall. I just wanted to explore my options because with the front end all apart... it'll be the right time to put a new box in it considering the OE original is still in there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic