TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering column bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering column bearings
    Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 5:12am
just wondering if steering column bearings are available on my '66 Rambler Rogue as mine are toasted. Anyone rebuilt there's?, mines a manual steering with manual transmission.
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 8:07am
I'd try first from the vendor's list. If no luck then maybe Mustang shop or Classic Industries.
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 10:35am
Look on the AMARK site - they list the upper bearing and some other parts.   I have done two in 69 cars - they are fairly simple to work on  - JJ
Tigermotors View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigermotors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2019 at 7:27am
I have a complete steering column for an automatic, is that bearing the same? If so I will separate if it's what your looking for.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 5:27pm
SO it appears the upper is good lower is toast. 
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2019 at 9:11am
here's the bearing , don't see it available anywhere
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 7:26am
Classic Industries lower bearing for a sixties Chev truck is C1003 for the one with the ball bearing. They sell a bronze bushing C1003A to replace the bearing. I have no idea if you could make either of them work for your application.

I used the bushing in my truck and am quite happy with it as there is no longer a possibility of the shaft getting cut up from a disintegrating bearing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 9:20am
Looks like it may be the nylon plug/ bushing in the bottom. I usually make a new one out of oak or some other hardwood. Use a hole saw about the od. Run a long 1/4" bolt through the center hole and chuck in a drill or drill press, rotate against a sandpaper block until a snug fit in the tube. Then clamp in a padded voice and drill center hole fo shaft. Drill a pilot hole for each screw that holds it in the tube to prevent splitting. Grease it up and it should last nearly as long as the original nylon piece. You might have to cut a recess in the back side for an actual bearing... but I don't think there is one, at least not on some models.

The screws that hold it in are in angled slots on the tube. Make it so the screws are in the lowest position in the slots if possible so you can tighten it up later. There isn't much adjustment. You can always rotate and drill new pilot holes though. That doesn't  work well on 50 year old nylon that has got brittle over the years....
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic