TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering Box???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Box???
    Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 10:13am
So I have 1966 Rambler American with the "Death Rod" one piece Solid shaft steering column. I know I could cut it and add a rag joint or universal but its a 1966 so i'm sure there is a descent amount of wear. i've heard GM Saginaw box is the same... heres my question are they 100% the same? Shaft location, Splines, bolt holes... Etc. I dont care about the top where the steering column goes just the other half of it.... are Ratio's as important as people say?
1966 Rampar American
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 3:16pm
Just been there and done that.
1966 appears to be one year only in the mounting configuration.

The only way you are going to use the original mounting bolts is to rebuild your box.

Might as well bite the bullet, fork the dough and sent it off the Lares Corp. You will not be disappointed. Keep all the ratio's factory. Its going to feel like power steering when you get it back.
http://www.larescorp.com/

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 7:45am
You can use a Saginaw box, with modifications to the sill. I haven't tried a manual box, but fit a late model PS box to my 63 Classic. So it replaced a manual steering box (PS in 63 used a cross-ram type, not a PS box). I used the lowest mounting hole in the factory location, drilled the others through the sill. I think two of the factory holes lined up. The highest hole (the PS box used four) was just above the sill. I used a pipe spacer right along the top of the sill and drilled the mounting hole there. Drove it like that for several years. I managed to get a 65 steering column, but you can cut your shaft and use a D or Double-D slip on rag joint with the GM splines on one side. Borgeson and others sell the joints. D is one flat on the shaft, Double-D is two flats opposite each other. Easy to grind on shaft.
https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=16
You might try Speedway Motors -- they may have a lower cost solution. Borgeson is a big name... so big price! But it is also high quality..
Frank Swygert
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 10:18am
What kind of dough are we talking? might just end up going with a rack... 
1966 Rampar American
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 11:24am
Like Ollie, I also did Lares Corporation for a rebuild.  Very good work, around $400 with shipping.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 2:27pm
I would make a used Jeep box work before spending $400 to get one rebuilt. My 66 had power steering and the box swapped easily and I am cheap.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 6:20am
A rack and pinion is hard work, unless you want to buy a front suspension kit from Control Freaks or Alfano Performance. I've done it, fabbed my own steering arms. You can use Pacer arms if you can find them though. All others are too long, you'd turn like a school bus! 
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Rampar Rampar wrote:

What kind of dough are we talking? might just end up going with a rack... 

There are cheaper rebuilders out there. Search on the internet. Some will only replace the imput bushing.

Lares is AMC friendly with a lifetime guarantee. You get what u pay for. I have put 10K on my rebuilt box just in the past few months.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

PS..My front end is all stock manual steering and I LOVE TO DRIVE The Rambler. He loves stepping out on the Road......
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 10:30am
I am pretty sure the American box is different than on the big cars and that the 65 American P.S. box uses a rag joint coupling. 

I'll be looking to change the Classic to P.S. by next summer.  Manual is nice on the highway but a pain for parking.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 10:48am
If 66 is a one year deal, then I'd look for a 1967-69 steering column and then you can bolt a later box in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic