TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

stearing box j20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stearing box j20
    Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 9:00pm
hi i have an 81 j20 and stearing box is shot,i have one in a 81 wagoneer,will they interchange?dont  want to pull it out if not,looks closely the same but the round portion of it is bigger on the j20 one.thanks for any info
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 9:10pm
My Hollander manual only goes thru 1979, but up till 77 J10, J20 and Wagoneer steering boxes will interchange, after that the J20 takes a different steering box from the J10 and Wagoneer.

But my manual stops at 79, so I can't say for sure.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 9:39am
Even if they aren't exactly the same they will interchange. The J20 may have a heavier duty box, but unless you plan on doing a lot of hard four wheeling I'd use a J10/Wagoneer box. It's a standard GM/Saginaw steering box -- on both. So you may want to look at a 3/4 ton Chevy truck for the same box as the J20, if you want/need the larger box. If it's mainly a street truck the lighter box will work fine, and will bolt right up. 
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2014 at 12:10pm
The biggest difference will be the hose. The older one may be a pressure fitting and the newer one will be Oring. Just need to know that or it's a pain. The J20 "piston" in the box is slightly bigger for more power turning bigger wheels as you go into the corner. Especially under a heavier load J20 can handle.
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2015 at 7:07am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

So you may want to look at a 3/4 ton Chevy truck for the same box as the J20,

Chevy and GMC trucks of that era had the steering boxes mounted to the outside of the frame, they will not interchange. Not sure of the model years involved.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 11:29pm
Chevy Full size cars (Impalas and the like from the '70s and early '80s) used the same box as Wag, Chero, J10 and earlier J20s. They changed from compression fitting to oring fitting in '80 in the full size Jeeps. I was looking at a 1 ton Chevy van box for my '84 "J10" to turn the current 38" tires on corners and upcoming Mil Spec 52" Humvee takeoffs I want. (then a D60 front with 5.13 or lower will go in)
Scrambler 401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrambler 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2020 at 8:12pm
I used a 1996 hummer H1 box in my scrambler it’s a close ratio and a bigger it bolted in perfect hose connections fit perfectly worth a look I run 37” rubber turns awesome 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic