TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

std on piston crown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: std on piston crown
    Posted: Sep/27/2015 at 1:25pm
I blew head gasket on 196 ohv.. most likely my fault for the dreaded head bolts loosening.. I pulled head today to start cleaning for when my parts come from galvins later this week.. If the piston crown is stamped standard its absolutely been rebuilt right? cylinder walls are nice looking. There is a little lip near the top but that's just regular wear..
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2015 at 2:00pm
I would say no. All it is telling you is the piston/bore are standard (STD) size - not been bored over size.
Even if it said .30 still could have been from the factory if they found at STD size it was too big for that piston.

You sometimes see this with crank main & rods same deal turn it under size and use it.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Lexstang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2015 at 9:41pm
Not glad per se but the head gasket meant easy fix for valve stem seals. 3 were at least cracked and all where hard as a rock. Hopefully it will use a bit less oil and stop fouling plugs. Also I found a valve seat that was loose.   So I will have to find a local shop to put me in another. Hope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Can't wait to lap the valves and put it back together to see if it runs noticeably better or not.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2015 at 11:23am
I'd tend to think that it has been rebuilt and those are replacement pistons. I haven't seen a stock piston marked with STD on top. AMC did, however, use more than one source for pistons, and it could be a factory installed piston. I haven't seen everything!

Have that head magnafluxed while at the shop. 196 OHVs are notorious for cracks after running hot. This is due to not keeping the head bolts torqued and having been overheated multiple times over the last 50+ years. Call it a design flaw if you want to, but the 196 has to have the head bolts retorqued every 10-12K miles/2-3 years. The massive head expands/contracts enough to eventually loosen the bolts over time. The design of the head is the reason, partially due to the fact that the engine was converted from an L-head design, so some compromises had to be made to keep as much of the L-head tooling and parts as possible (to reduce cost). Not much point in spending a lot of money on a cracked head, though good ones are hard to find now. These never came with removable valve seats, so yours has had work before.
Frank Swygert
Lexstang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 2:42pm
Had the head cleaned and checked. A crack was found in the exhaust valve seat area that caused it to get loose. So I'm taking to to Cornett machine shop in somerset ky to see if they can weld it. If any machine shop around can fix it, it will be them. I really hope so because they're not the easiest to find and can still require work.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 7:18pm
If the piston says STD, more than likely was replacement pistons. Factory wont say STD, They say nothing.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 4:07am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I'd tend to think that it has been rebuilt and those are replacement pistons. I haven't seen a stock piston marked with STD on top. AMC did, however, use more than one source for pistons, and it could be a factory installed piston. I haven't seen everything!

My grandfather bought new, a Rambler four door sedan off the show room floor and I want to say a 56, a three tone purple car. That era had multi-color and/or shade paint jobs and was a pretty little thing at the time. With a color keyed interior. In 1960 we drove the car across country together, which pretty much means at the time it was not the first trip. The car had a factory recall shortly after it was purchased on the engine. If memory is correct something to do with a defective crank shaft and the engine was ether rebuilt or replaced.
By cross country, that means from Rochester NY to Portland Oregon. I was 16 at the time and being a Rambler it would sneak through speed traps set up on route I-20 because no one expected it to be driven fast. It would gasp a bit on steep inclines but cruise easily at well above posted speed limits and some states had no speed limits.
That was a car that lasted a very long time until destroyed by an accident well into the 60's.
I remember that it handled well and was comfortable to drive. I just do not remember the car being a maintenance problem.
I can probably say that years later the memories of that Rambler have lead me to own a number of them over the years and I guess I still own not one, but a few even today. And I don't think seeing everything is a criteria that ever gets satisfied.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Spin Doctor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 9:42am
Farna. While I wasn't there during 196 OHV and Flathead production I can personally gaurantee that all AMC pistons were machined inhouse. The pistons came in rough turned from the die caster (TRW iirc). The needed to beroughturned to be loaded into the coil feeders. 1st operation was turning operation on Six Spindle Baird Automatic Lathes to finish turn head diameter, semi finish skirts and cut the ring and oil control grooves. Theythen went to machining lines to rough, semi-finish and diamond bore the pin bore. Also done were smoke holes or slots. Last operation was to machine the skirt drop off. This was done with spindles mounted at an angle to the motion of the vertical slide they were on. The cutters were o the inside of heir carriers and opened and clised hydraulically. The piston was held stationary the slide lowered. The cutter brought in and the slide fed up. Drop off around .005 per side. Later the 4.0 pistons were done with the smoe holes and pinbore done on two Tri-Way transfer lines with the piston head, grooves and skirts being machined in Giddings and Lewis Vertical Lathes at about 3500 rpm. The skirt profile was actually controlled by an amplifier the moved the tool in and out in relationship to the spindle at full speed. KEP maintence personell were not allowed to touch these beyond installation and alignment. When I started some of the older piston equipment was still around including the eccentric grinders that had beenused for theskirts on cast iron pistons. The first machining line I mentioned were LaSalle's and ExCellos. If you want to know more about production processes and/or humerous screw ups that happened (like the guy that ordered a Spirit AMX and got a 360 slipped into the production que. Hand built with an exactly weight matched set of rods, pistons to exact weight. The cam I think was an aftermarket one. Along with aftermarket lifters. Plus the heads had work done on them. When the engine hit the line tobeinstalled the line stopped as the exhaust system did not line up due to differences in the 304 and 360 exhaust manifolds. The only reson he didn't getcanned was hehad an uncle in management over in Detroit.
Rambler60 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 4:03pm
I am currently rebuilding a 60 flathead with 55k miles. The owner parked it due to mechanical problems in 1978 and gave it to me 2 years ago. I pulled the engine and tranny a couple months ago and tore it all down. The head nuts were loose and #6 cylinder was full of solidified antifreeze. Other cylinders were fine. I just looked at the original pistons and they are unmarked. I bought a Sealed Power replacement piston off eBay that is stamped "std" for #6 but the ring grooves would not accept the Ramco rings I bought from The AMC Store (Dale Cooper). So the original standard pistons are not marked, standard replacements are. I am having trouble finding another piston for this thing. Does anyone know where I can get a 3 ring forged piston with rings? Good used parts would be ok as I probably will only drive it to the occasional car show. Pretty slick, all original old car.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 4:08pm
Kanter's in New Jersey has them and those pistons are not forged. The are cast aluminum. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic