TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 1:04pm
Agreeing with Lyle now, it very well could be a bad condenser. I had to replace one after the car had been sitting for a few years. Orange spark, lots of backfiring, missing, as well as hard to start. My daughter was getting lost of comments on the car but she really complained that she could not keep it running. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 5:32pm
Yeah, could be a bad condensor. But run a jumper wire from battery + to coil + and try that first.

It really won't matter if you don't disconnect the ignition wire first. You' will still only get 12V, and running 12V back to the ignition switch won't hurt either. It's not like you would be grounding it, it would just be like two wires run parallel from the battery to the coil.
Frank Swygert
Samreye View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2018 at 9:16pm
Right so I want to thank all of you for the details and the amount of diligence. I got her started!!! It was because I had a faulty after market key ignition that was sold to me brand new!! Replaced it with a delco remy five post and did a little under dash mod. I want to put an original one back in where it belongs. Does anyone know where to locate one? Thanks to all so much again. I do have a question on the nipple coming out between the carb and valve cover. My tsm states it for an air guard system. I don’t have any other of the bits and bobs that go with the system. Does it need to be connected for a vacuum of sorts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic