TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:10pm
go get an inline spark tester from auto zone...pull one of the plug wires...put the tester inline between the plug wire and plug...have someone try to start the engine and watch the tester..if you see spark then the ignition system is good....do it at night so you can see the spark... 
Samreye View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:27pm
Thank you for the idea, or suggestion I should say.I have spark, it’s orange, not blue. My thought is I don’t have enough power or voltage going to my coil. I believe that because I don’t have a accessory on the ignition, so when I turn the key that I don’t have enough juice going to the coil at all times
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:31pm
run a hotwire from the battery to the positive side of the coil...make sure you disconnect the wire coming from the ignition switch first
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:43pm
Orange won't run
Samreye View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:48pm
Thank you, is my theory corect then? Am I not getting enough voltage
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Samreye Samreye wrote:

Thank you, is my theory corect then? Am I not getting enough voltage
white or blue is what you need
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 2:18am
The coil should specify whether or not it requires a ballast resistor make sure you follow the recommendation.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 6:51am
Get a Chilton's Repair Manual for your car. If you can't find one for your specific model, just get one that is 'close' like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-67-74-Matador-Rebel-Machine-REPAIR-TUNE-UP-MANUAL-CHILTONS-SERVICE-BOOK/252823955907?hash=item3add7b69c3:g:olwAAOSwax5Y0XvO&vxp=mtr

Get an AMC Technical Service Manual also... if not for your model, something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-AMC-RAMBLER-AMERICAN-TECHNICAL-SERVICE-SHOP-REPAIR-MANUAL/111735077381?hash=item1a03edfa05:g:LVAAAOSwojRYSwwf&vxp=mtr

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 9:51am
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/Rambler/MWire5765-349.jpg

Your wiring diagram shows that it has an ignition resistor of which I was pretty sure of. The original coil will not last too long running full battery voltage to it but should be fine to get it started as that is what it shows in the diagram. BTW when I put a 232 from a 67 without changing the coil into my car that has no resistance wire it lasted only about 2 months. What ohm reading do you get across the + - terminals of your coil? I am thinking it should be 2 as that was what the original was.

I think you might have other problems like bad gas, low compression or bad timing.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 11:23am
Check your coil and condenser also. I don't know how many times I've seen a 6V coil on a 12V system or the wrong coil output for the plugs installed.
My neighbor has a 6V system and NAPA sold him a lawnmower condenser, they didn't even know condensers were application specific. Needless to say it it not run well.
Once we got a correct value condenser for a straight 8 6V it runs great, lots more power and better mileage.
Even with a proper part number we went to NAPA and tested 5 to get 2 within spec. Cheap make, find Bosch if you can.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic