TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting issue
    Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 12:18am
I am not new here, but I have posted so long ago about an issue that I am having starting my 1967 rambler American 220.and I am back with the same problem!! I have done all of the wiring under the hood and can get it to crank and it tries drastically. smoke or exhaust coming out the back but it will not catch. it sounds like it wants to start. everything works, i.e. fuel pump coil,dizzy, oil pump.I have bought all new plugs,wires,cap,rotor, condenser,points, coil, voltage regulator and battery. I even ran my own line from the Ignition switch . I am wondering if it has anything to do with the voltage regulator that lives in the instrument cluster. I thought that my points dwell may be off but re did them again with no avail. I would really appreciate anybody’s suggestions here. A mate of mine will be coming over in a couple of days so I can spin the dizzy to see if I can catch it. Thanks so much for looking this over and in advance for the advice
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 2:11am
The IVR in the instrument cluster has NOTHING to do with your starting issue.  It merely regulates voltage for the fuel and temp gauges.  You changed a LOT of parts.  Go back and check EVERYTHING again.  Loose connections, plug wires in wrong order, dizzy installed incorrectly, etc.  BTW, what engine do you have?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 5:15am
Using a screw driver to open your points while holding the coil wire about a quarter inch away from ground will show what kind of spark you have.

Maybe try some premium gas?

Have you done a compression check?

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 6:30am
How much slack is in your timing chain and is the engine timed properly?   
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Samreye View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 6:57am
Thank you rocklandrambler, my motor is the 199 straight six. I appreciate the diagnosis. I’m 99% sure my dizzy is right. But that’s my next step. I’m quite sure I have things in the right order. I will re-check. Thanks again
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 7:01am
Timing is what it sounds like to me. Did you take the distributor out? Try loosening the hold-down bolt and turn the dizzy as far one way as you can. Hold it in position while someone cranks the engine. Slowly turn it while the engine is cranking. If timing is off just a bit it will fire and run when you get it in the right position. You could have it off a couple teeth on the gear though. If that's the case you need to run the front piston up to the top with both valves closed (on compression stroke). You can run a wire in the first spark plug hole to see if the piston is up as far as it will go. You can hold a finger over the hole while you turn the engine (I suggest removing all plugs and turn engine by hand) until you feel it "blow" your finger up... that's compression stroke, or use a compression gauge and watch t. Then set the dizzy in with the rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug wire on the cap. Remember that the rotor will move 3/8" or so when you put it in due to he angle of the gear. Either compensate when you put it in or rotate the body so the rotor is right with the dizzy all the way in. That will be in the ball park and the engine should run -- adjust body rotation until it idles smooth, then take it for a test run. If no spark knock accelerating or pulling up a hill, you're good.

I'd advance it (when you rotate by hand, the direction the idle pick up) a bit and road test again until you do get spark knock, then back off a bit. That is "setting timing by ear". The factory settings are for 1960s gasoline... formulas changed over the years and today's gasoline wants more timing. If you set it by a timing light you probably need to advance it a bit. Also, the balancer outer ring can slip, which will throw your light off. If you set it by ear on a cold day you might have to turn timing down (the direction idle slows) a bit in the summer, or even if you change areas (altitude, different gas formulation). Just listen for a spark knock and keep a 1/2" wrench in the glove box when traveling. Or adjust your driving to compensate (slow down, less hard acceleration, etc.).
Frank Swygert
Samreye View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 7:03am
Absolutely right Vinny. The screw driver to hold the points away!! I have not worked on a points car in quite awhile and it slipped my mind. Thank you.
Samreye View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 7:06am
Thank you paceman I will have a look at the timing chain. I didn’t think about that.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 7:12am
You have changed a lot of electrical components. Have you confirmed whether or not you have good spark?
Samreye View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samreye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 7:29pm
Super thankful for everybody’s help. I went through the hoops again if that’s what you’d like to call them. With no avail. I have a feeling that because I’m not getting the power to the coil . The key ignition was missing when I got the car and I got a generic one and I wonder if that’s not the problem as I don’t have an accessory area before starting the car. Is There anyway to find out what the proper ignition would be for that car 1967 rambler American 220. 199 motor. Unfortunately when I bought this new generic key starter, I cut the wire harness plug I know the worst thing in the world I could do. But if anybody has any way of telling how or what kind of ignition to put in I would greatly appreciate it. Again thank you everyone for your ideals and thank you for your time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic