TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starting Issue - Single Click

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74JavSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Issue - Single Click
    Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 7:03pm
Hey everyone!

More problems... one after another! 

After replacing Water Pump and Alternator the 74 Javelin 304 was running just fine.. All of a sudden, it starts spitting and not wanting to run... Verdict? I think I ran out of gas! After this, I added gas and could not seem to get it running right. Just seems like one of the three:
   1) I blew a head gasket or cracked the block (white exhaust smoke) - Got a compression Tester as maybe I was burning coolant too somehow?
   2) Not enough fuel pressure (fuel line is very squishy, air trapped?) - Any tips?
   3) Timing might be off - nothing was changed... new pts (<1k miles on them)

I don't think it is a timing issue but what got me thinking about that was it puffing out of the carb twice when being turned off (stop it from cranking it just puffed)... Wondering if this could happen when it is running very lean?

So... Now to why this is under Electrical:

After all that trying to run it last time I left the battery charger on for 36 hours at 2amp (full battery) and go to run the starter with the center ignition coil off (prevent it from sparking and kicking over) but it just `Click` and nothing else... 

Bought a new Starter Relay as those always go bad... Did not fix the issue... Still just `Click`... 

Jumped the Starter relay from + to S and just `Click`. 

I got fed up at this point... Took 1Gau Wires and jumped the Javelin from the Diesel and still just one single `Click`... Nothing else... That was 3 fully charged batteries still nothing...

Then tried to make sure the engine was not seised so I pushed it and popped the clutch.. The engine rotated (didn't try to start it up though)

What in the world could this be now.... Any ideas?

Edited by 74JavSST - Dec/04/2019 at 7:05pm
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 7:20pm
One click? Bad started or a lost connection.
Battery cable to block. Ground wire between engine block and cross member. A test meter ( DVM) would sure save a lot of guessing between batteries and solenoid. Rarely see a solenoid fail unless it's a Chinese replacement.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 7:27pm
Sounds like a bad starter. (dead spot or stuck brushes). Try giving it a good couple of solid wacks on the side near the back plate. The negative lead from the battery should be attached to the engine near the alternator. The ground jumper from the block to the engine cross member shouldn't have anything to do with starting. This jumper provides the ground from the engine to the body for everything electrical but the engine.
The fact that the starter relay clicks points to a bad starter.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
74JavSST View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74JavSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 9:00pm
That is what I was thinking; The Solenoid is rather new also anyway so I didn't think it was it. I had a failed one in Feb. 

I didn't whack at the starter yet as I didn't know where to hit it to not cause any damages. You said on the side near the back plate... Is that Bottom towards furthest from the headers while mounted? 

I'll give it a whack tomorrow and see if it starts turning over and reply back. If it does, I'll repost my other issues under Engine V8 portion of the forum. 

Thanks everyone, I'll get back tomorrow.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2019 at 8:04am
Clean all the connections in the high current circuit. i.e. battery to solenoid to starter, and battery to ground point on the engine. Clean them all. Don't just look at them and decide they're fine.

In the 70s, we had AMCs and Fords with this starting system and they all seemed to suffer the "click" now and again. Cleaning the terminals had them running again in about five minutes.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2019 at 8:33am
Whack the case of the starter nearest the end opposite the flywheel. The brushes are at the end and the intent of the whack is to jog the brushes should they be hanging up. They can hang up when they wear down far enough.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2019 at 10:34pm
I would use a jumper cable from the battery to the starter and to ground the starter. That will rule out or in any problem in the circuitry.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
74JavSST View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74JavSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 9:25pm
Okay - I pulled the starter out. Had it tested at Autozone and it PASSed the test... We still replaced it (bearings etc)... Re-installed that and replaced my (+) lead from the battery to the relay and boom... The engine turns and it sounds fantastic.

My guess... Grounding issue on the starter. That old one was very dirty.

Thanks! SOLVED.
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 10:46pm
Clap congrat's, 74Jav!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic