TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starting a 327 - First time in 20+ years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:29am
Mystery oil, give it a week or so.
Try to turn it with plugs out.
Manually turning it is a touchy thing in the car.
Best to just use the starter.

Cycle the thing on the starter a few turns, if you can do it till you
get oil pressure.

Plugs in, and start the smoke show.....

If the starter will not turn it I suggest you
will have to pull the engine and tear it down...
Gremlin Dreams
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:32am
I put ATF in the cylinders first, but AFTER making sure no mice made a nest in the carb or muffler. A little spray lube across the valves and rockers (NOT WD40!) Most likely you will need a set of points and condenser after sitting that long. With the plugs out and it sitting a few hours at least, I would try using the starter to spin it if it can move with a breaker bar.
   Oil changed for Delo 15W40 or any zinc oil before firing it up.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:57am
The gear indicator should be in park or neutral to start it. You don't put it into 2nd to start it - it will just "automatically" go there (car joke). It's a three speed, but most of the time, it feels like a 2 speed with one big shift (around 30-35 in my car). The philosophy at the time was it made the car smoother and they wanted smooth. Is yours console or column?
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 1:14pm
2nd gear to push start with the key on.
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 2:41pm
Confused... it's an automatic.
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 3:22pm
Some BW autos can be push/drag started at @20 mph
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 5:03pm
I am reasonably certain his will.
But if the motor is seized it may destroy the transmission.
Gremlin Dreams
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 7:16pm
Questions like these are basic common sense and a bit of risk.  And engine that has sat this long probably should be checked to see if it can turn over and this is done by hand.  If it can turn over than squirting some oil through a spark plug hole is certainly not going to hurt and may help, What kind, the wet stuff.  Marvel Mystery oil is as good as any. How much?  If this is a V type engine what ever you put in is going to gravitate towards the low side and not get much anywhere else!  To tell the truth, I'd use some WD40 with  a spray straw and hope that when sprayed it would get on the high side of the cylinders and drain down, and if it can turn by hand then turn it over a couple of time to get some on the rings. 
And oil change is a good thing.  Why?  Have you ever looked into something that sat for 20 year to see how much sediment has settled to the bottom?  You really do not want to know, so change the oil and put on a new filter to try to catch what ever gets picked up and pumped through. What kind of oil?  Good cheap stuff, something around a 30W straight oil, once it runs change it again, it would help get rid of what ever settled out. 
How much settled out" 
I pulled the cover off the differential of my Hornet which has sat in my Driveway for about 6 years, the 90W was clear and clean, and about an inch of gook in the bottom.  It felt good to put it back together with the gook gone. 
It is a gamble as to what can be done or needs to be done with the carburetor or anything else.  It probably needs cleaning and gaskets.  Personally I would be satisfied in exactly the same set of circumstances to drain the oil and use something clean and cheap to refill it,  a new oil filter, and hear it hit a lik or three by pouring gasoline through the carburetor into the intake.  If needed I would see if the fuel pump will pump gas into the carburetor and see if it will run long enough to verify oil pressure will build up and let it get warm and call it good to go and start buying gaskets and some decent oil and get serious about seeing if it will run longer with out major work. 
After another oil and filter change. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 7:36pm
just pull all the plugs and put a breaker bar or even a 1/2" wratchet wrench on the crank pulley nut and see if it turns. Or have you already confirmed its locked up? If it wont turn with all the plugs out, then get one of those super sized cans of WD 40 and spray into all the cylinders...the plastic spray tubes they come with will work perfect for this...hold the spray for a good 10 seconds in each cylinder and that should be more than enough for it to penetrate. Let sit for an hour then try to turn the crank bolt again.

Edited by 348AMX - Sep/23/2014 at 7:39pm
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 7:22am
All the above is good!
It's easy to over torque the balancer crankshaft bolt trying to turn the motor.
Be cautious.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic