TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starter Relay-to-Alternator Fusible Link

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Relay-to-Alternator Fusible Link
    Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 12:11pm

In looking over my wiring I realize a previous owner has bypassed a bad fusible link with regular wire. This fusible link is 18" long and FSM says it should be 20 gauge (seems small!) copper wire only. Nobody seems to stock anything that length and gauge, so I'm thinking I'll just have to buy some 20 gauge fusible link wire and make my own. Anything special I need to know about the terminals on a fusible link?  Should I crimp them or solder them??
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 4:05pm
Cameron, If I remember right the TSM shows an "alternate" wire to use on the Fusible Link to the solenoid......look in your 69 Manual too.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 6:32pm
Cam,
Have you tried Blaser's AMC? Steve might have an original link (probably will be expensive). But, might be worth a call. Just a thought... Good luck. Bruce
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 8:34pm
Ok, thanks guys.  Just realized the fusible link is not 18" long... it's at most 9 or 10" long. I was looking at the wrong wire.  That being the case I ought to be able to find something suitable locally. 

I'm amazed how much better the '72 FSM is than the '69.  It gives lots more detail, i.e. harness routing, shows where the wire clips go under hood and in the trunk, etc. 

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 7:22am
Cam,

One other option, if your not going for a stock look, is to replace it with a fuse. Now a days you can get a fuse in almost and shape or size. Good news is if it ever pops you don't have to dig back in to the harness to splice in a new link. You can even fuse the main battery feed for a trunk mounted battery now.

Edited by pit crew - Sep/23/2017 at 7:30am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 8:08am
Thanks, Ken. I have considered that. Probably will stick with fusible link for now, but the idea has merit.

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 8:48am
A fusible link is not just any wire. It has a higher number of conductors and higher thermal insulation so if it does "melt" it is not suppose to leave live conductors exposed (wire melts inside the insulation).
In operation a fusible link can take longer bursts of over current and not fail as can dissipate the heat were a fuse is designed to "blow" at or near design amperage is short order.
A 50 AMP breaker may be a another option to replace the fusible link as you can reset it.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 9:08am
What I find interesting is AMC used 20 gauge fusible link here for what looked like 12-14 awg line. I assume it's because this line was shared with horn relay, which has its own fusible link, but not sure if that would be the reason or not.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

What I find interesting is AMC used 20 gauge fusible link here for what looked like 12-14 awg line. I assume it's because this line was shared with horn relay, which has its own fusible link, but not sure if that would be the reason or not.

If you still need a good fusible link, I can part with mine. I haven't removed it yet, since I have modified my harness in other areas, I will be doing a fuse box for charging system, ignition, and relays.

$15.00 shipped.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 11:14am
I need to setup something like this to use as a junction block at my starter. I'm perfectly fine with minimal or no fuses in the injection system but the factory dash, trigger controls and gauges need these critical fusible links. The lights will be updated with their own harness updates and junctions so I'm not worried about them. What is the best way to bolt and wire this in? Mount the link base to the firewall near starter and then wire in the multiple links with 12-14awg?
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic