TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starter problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter problems
    Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 7:54pm
Wondering if anyone has the same problem. I have been trying to replace the starter on my 343. They keep going bad either once I put it in or within a few starts. Is this maybe a bad batch or is it something else wrong. I have tried 2 from auto zone, 2 from orilleys and now 1 from car quest. Any suggestions.
Thanks
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 8:24pm
Are you able to test them when removing them from the car to make sure it is actually the starter and not another intermittent problem? When it fails, what does it do, totally quit, turn slowly, click?
When it quits working, try bypassing the solenoid by jumping its big terminals. Maybe you have an intermittent solenoid problem. Also check grounds. Check the big power cables. Do you have headers that are really close to the starter?
I got one bad one, but five in a row makes me think something else is going on. Perhaps a bad cable that gets moved when putting in a new starter and then vibrates and has a bad internal problem.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Jav69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 9:15pm
2 of them bench tested bad. 1 worked for a few weeks but then the gear stopped springing out. 1 cranked 1 time then wouldn't crank again and when bench tested didn't work. The one I have now started the car once. On the 2 ND start it sounded like the gears were grinding on the fly wheel. Have not had a chance to get under the car to check the teeth but this doesn't make sense to me. This is a motor and transmission I rebuilt. I was told it was a 1969 motor. Is the starter different for different year motors?
Jav69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 9:17pm
Also new selonoid and all grounds are solid. Everything is brand new or rebuilt
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 9:46pm
Have you checked the voltage on starting? It should be 10.5 or above. Low battery supply voltage can make starters fail by drawing over the starter rated AMPs which much is converted to heat. Usually the solenoid will burn out or not close with lower voltage but sometimes...
Batteries can fail in funky ways - especially if it's warm.  
Jav69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 11:09pm
I just got under the car. Gear was stuck in the fly wheel. I got it loose and tried to start it. Made the high pitch sqweeling noise no one wants to here of gears grinding. Looked under again and starter was not stuck in the engaged position. Am I getting the wrong starter. Is it possible there is the wrong tooth count on the starter. Getting frustrated. Any help is appreciated.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 12:37am
sound like your getting a bad run on starters to my knowledge all the starter were the same there just a ford starter I use a starter off a ford Fairmont because of post location for header clearance you sure you have the right flex plate   
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Jav69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 7:23am
The motor trans flex plate and driveshaft were out of a 79 amx. At least that's what the guy told me. I've got headers and am tired of taking it off just to replace the starter. I'm hoping it's a bad run anyone have suggestions on where they have gotten a reliable starter?
Jav69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 7:29am
Sorry 69 amx not 79
Jav69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 7:30am
Could it possibly be that I need an electronic msd ignition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic