TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starter Block plate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Block plate
    Posted: May/30/2016 at 9:43am
I had some starter engagement issues on my ScRambler.  One out of 10-15 times it would grind.  I am changing the ring gear and the starter gear (Jeep mini starter). I am trying to figure out the source of the problem although, may just have some worn out parts.  Is there any issues using the late model Jeep mini starter on 69 390 T10?  Also, for some reason the previous owner cut the starter block plate in half where it meets the block.  I guess this makes inspection possible maybe...  It also moves the bell housing toward the engine pushing the starter further away from the flywheel.  The plate isn't that thick but I am losing some engagement.  Is this an issue?
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 2:22pm
My 360 had just the slightest wear on a few teeth of the ring gear and it did the same thing.  A new ring gear solved the problem. If there is a lack of engagement, that could do it.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 5:43pm
I'm pretty sure the jeep mini-starter is not compatible. There is supposed to be a different flex plate, don't know what flywheel if any are compatible. For sure the factory Jeep mini-starter has a different engagement.

Normally the block plate is what aligns the starter, and if it has been cut and things modified someone was trying to make it work.

I'd actually suggest going to a stock starter, or if you have a header fit problem use a replacement mini-starter that is compatible.
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 8:53pm
If it's the 4.0 Six starter the projection of the pinion gear is not the same.
It will physically bolt up the engagement will be wrong. If you have a standard starter compare the 2 and you'll see.
I went through this many years ago and can't remember how much / which way it's off.
I do run that starter on my car but we moved the stock ring gear on the custom flywheel.
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 9:37am
Thanks everyone. I think the engagement was minimal and put a bad spot or two into the ring gear. I will replace the ring gear and go with a new mini starter. I have had good luck with the Power master but will also look at the RobbMC.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic