TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SS AMX DRAG-ON-LADY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 10:23am
.....crack dealer......
they call me Capt RETIRED!
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 3:04pm
Awesome Picture Thanks Pat
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 3:20pm
Hate to see a historic car like that go down the crapper.....
they call me Capt RETIRED!
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 6:45am
wtf are you talking about? its in very good hands and has been
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 11:57pm
Ya'know, I always wondered how things went with the landing of this mile high wheel stand that Shirley Shahan did in the Drag-On-Lady AMX... those poor little single inner pivot AMC Lower Control Arms...

mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 1:47am
I let Cary purchase 'my' NOS crank and bearings that I'd ordered which had just come in at the local AMC Dealer so that he could get the AMX back on the road.  I remember both Pat and I screaming at Cary that he was over-revving the motor.
Mike
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 4:06pm
Does Gordon Gibson in Arkansas still have the Drag-On-Lady S/S AMX ?
Was Cary over revving it because it felt and sounded so good, or just failed to know better ?
Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Not sure If I know how to do this right, but hopefully here is a scanned picture of the DRAG-ON-LADY SS AMX under a tree in my front yard after the then current owner, Cary Wallace, over rev'ed the 390 and threw a rod thru the pan prior to our South Bay AMX sponsered West Coast CACI Regional AMC meet in San Jose, CA. (That's Cary underneath surveying the damage. I had to trailer this AMX to our show).
Hi. I hate to drag up a 7 year old post but sense it had activitie a couple a months ago I will even though it seams the OP has never come back to it. 
Hey Pat Whiteside, why don’t you tell the hole truth about that picture and all the events of that week?

You say it was over reved when it threw the rod. That is strange because it was having carb/distributor problem so you even called a friend to come over and help figure out why it was popping out the carbs. It also had a second tachometer mounted in the engine bay to watch RPMS. 
You were in your garage making the awards to be given away that weekend because I was standing next to you watching you spray paint them. 

As for you HAVING to trailer it, that is questionable also as you had your own race AMX to take to the show, (that I believe you had troubles with and blew a front tire) My dad towed it from Seattle, you don’t think he could have towed it to the show??

This picture was taken when he was putting the custom hi-performance starter that you took us to go get because the factory 1 had died. 

The only truths here are Yes that was your tree it was under. Yes that is Cary under the car (that did not get put on jack stands after it broke, I had to crawl under on my hand and knees to see the rod), yes it was a several thousand dollar weekend when it blew the rod!

I know you and my dad stayed in contact for several years so I know he told you That when the motor was taken apart there were several rods that were not torqued and some that were finger tight. Also that the nut from that one of the nuts from that rod were in the bottom of the oil pan. 

Rag’s

Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Cool picture!
 Barry Allen tells a story that when he worked for an AMC dealership in his youth they ran a SS/AMX and the 1st thing he did every monday morning is look under it to see how many rods where hanging out of it from the weekend...
Lou Downing through a rod in the 390 block of Pete Patriot at the Bandimere Speedway in Colorado.
When he hit the nitrous at the wrong time.
At the AMO show.

When I met H.L. the year my dad got the car back he told us how he called the overly tuned 390’s Hand Gerenade motors. As they ran like heck but ever trip down the strip was like pulling the pin. You knew it would blow up!
Rag’s 
Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

What's interesting is that they flat towed the AMX? NO BUMPER Shocked I had the same tow bar brackets on my 70 AMX when we flat towed it from Ohio to Ft Bliss, TX in 1973.

My dad towed it every were up and down the west coast. That was how it was set up when he got the car the first time from H.L.  it was my job as a kid to watch out the back window on side streets and parking lots to make sure he did not twist it up. 

Rag’s 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic