TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Squeaking coming from front end - 69 Rebel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFed Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squeaking coming from front end - 69 Rebel
    Posted: May/25/2017 at 5:48pm
There is a squeaking noise in the front end of my 69 Rebel. During the first few minutes of driving there's no sound. Soon it starts squeaking, but goes away when braking. A little while later, it continues squeaking, and changes pitch when braking. It stays that way until I put the car away. It has been doing this since I bought it, and the previous owner said it was doing it when he owned it too. After driving, I pulled the hubcaps off and checked the hubs, and they weren't horribly warm. I jacked up the front end and moved the wheels back and forth to see if there was slop in the bearings, but they didn't move very much.
The front brakes were done not long ago.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 6:32pm
You don't say if the squeaking is a function of speed. If the frequency increases with rotation then it's likely a bearing regardless if it gets warm, or possibly a hanging brake cylinder, but this would show abnormal pad wear. If it is constant through all speeds then start looking at suspension components.
CornFed Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFed Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 9:35pm
The speed of the squeaking does increase with the speed of the car. The pitch stays the same regardless of speed, until I press on the brake pedal, in which the pitch gets higher. 

I did an experiment this evening. I jacked up the front end, and spun each wheel. The passenger side spun freely with very little resistance and almost no noise. The drivers side spun with some resistance, and had an audible noise that sounds like a brake shoe dragging. I'll have to remove the drum and see.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic