TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spot Weld Cutters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine.Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spot Weld Cutters
    Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 5:28pm
Hi everyone,

I am looking to see if anyone has had better luck with other spot weld cutting tools than me.

I was using the Blair double sided spot weld cutter. Don't get me wrong, they work great, but they break a lot. I was averaging 5 to 10 spot welds per bit. The teeth kept breaking.

I'm looking to start cutting into my machine and I want to do it as clean as possible. Lots and lots of spot weld cutting.

Any help or opinions are welcome. Thank you!

Edited by Machine.Ben - Apr/11/2015 at 5:54pm
70 Ambassador SST
70 Javelin 390 4spd BBG
70 Rebel Machine
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 5:54pm
Most break the cutters because the centering pin is flimsy and lets the cutter wobble. I have a set like this, and I cut at least 100 spot welds on my 67 Rambler without ever breaking a cutter. You should center punch every spot weld you plan to cut.

Blair Cutter

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 6:29pm
I've had better luck with the Rotabroach, a more expensive spot weld cutter, but they last so much longer, the expense is justified.

Like mentioned center punching will help, or just touching it with a 1/8 in bit for a second will help too.

Plus dip the cutter in cutting fluid, or even water, it will keep it cool and cutting stronger. longer.

If I don't want to save the top panel, I use a thick cutoff disc, (Sparker) and cut thru the top spotweld , you can see when you've cut thru the first layer of metal. Much faster.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 6:30pm
  I bought a $5 spot weld cutter from Harbor Freight it looks the same as most of the spot weld cutters that I have seen, I have cut about 30 spot welds so far and the tool still looks like new. It is how you use the cutter that determines how long it will last, I center punch the weld to be cut then I drill thru the one layer of steel only with a 1/8" regular drill, keeping the drill speed on low and moderate cutting pressure is key to not damaging the tool, I have not used any cutting oil but that might also extend the cutter life.

Tony 
Machine.Ben View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine.Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 6:34pm
I was not center punching before. That is probably the majority of my problem by the sounds of it.

I still think the teeth shouldn't have been so flimsy.
70 Ambassador SST
70 Javelin 390 4spd BBG
70 Rebel Machine
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 6:37pm
And cleaning the area around the spotweld, so the bit starts cutting all the way around, at the same time, instead of one spot.

Keep it as close to perpendicular to the cutting area as you can.

Drilling off from perpendicular is what breaks most cutters.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 6:44pm
Ben, I believe the Blair spot weld cutters are carbide, that's what makes them easy to break if you don't centre punch the spot welds previous to cutting the spot welds. If all conditions are spot-on (centre punch, cutting oil, drill held nice and steady, proper speed) the cutter should last quite a while.

I've found that the Princess Auto spot weld cutters last just as long, if not longer then the more expensive Blair cutters.
I haven't used their Rota-Broach cutter yet so I can't comment on it's capabilities.

Ron
'68 Rebel SST
Selling Bellcranks '67-69,'70-up big body cars
3rd gen. American with V-8 Bellcrank assemblies
Gremlin and Hornet Z-bar now available
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 8:38pm
I got well over a 100 cuts with my Blair by using cutting oil.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2015 at 7:56pm
Definitely center punch or drill pilot hole to start. I got 60+ welds cut using the first end of HF bit. Then flip the removable cutter over for round 2. I take it easy on the pressure and they work well. Other bits probably take more pressure and cut faster but my 2 HF bits worked great doing my hood, door skins, fender baffles, upper/lower rad supports... ya da ya da.
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2015 at 10:38am
I've had great luck with the harbor freight ones use a 20% coupon, pretty cheap.....always center punch first.
360 5-speed orig owner...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic