TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Split Mono-Leaf Springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Mono-Leaf Springs
    Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:40pm
Thinking of softening the rear suspension on my '69 AMX. Jeg's has Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs in a couple of heights.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Calvert-Racing/Calvert-Racing-Split-Mono-Leaf-Springs/4018744/10002/-1

Since this car spends 99% of it's life on the street I'm hoping they're good on both street and strip.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
-Steve-
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 6:39am
Those are designed to be used with CalTracs.  If you are doing that, they will probably work well for you.  If I were looking at primarily street performance, I would look at some other solution. They do not ride particularly well and they don't lend themselves to cushioned bushings.  If your "street" use is less than 3000 miles per year and it is mostly cruising, you will be able to tolerate them.  If you actually take trips in the car, you will not like them.
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 7:19am
Currently have Cal-Tracs on my AMX with Espo 5-leaf springs. Front bushings are aluminum, rear are urethane. Rides stiff as a railway car right now so I'm used to it. The arch in them is a bit excessive also.

I've done some reading on other brand forums about the split-leaf on the street. Most say they're stiff due to the front half spring being so thick. Others said ride quality really didn't change.

My AMX doesn't see the highway much. Since I've already got the Cal-Tracs it sounds like going with the split-mono will be a good upgrade, will save a few pounds as well.

-Steve-
goops View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 11:23am
 I had split leafs and caltracs on 74 Jav AMX  and used their recommended adjustable shocks and
it rode quite nice . You can order ride height you want in springs. They were very good to deal with and used their recommended setup .
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 8:55pm
Took the plunge and bought a pair of the standard ride height split-mono springs and a pair of the adjustable shocks.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 9:20pm
Guess I should have stated the reason for this change. My goal is to get the car to hook with DOT tires. Currently have 255 60 15 M/T ET Street S/S tires. Would like to fit some 275 50 15 but not sure if they'll clear.

I've used the Cal Trac bars for several years and the car hooks well with slicks but rebounds kind of bad. Pretty sure that'll cause a loss of traction on DOTs.

I'm the R/W/B AMX.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 5:44pm
Parts are here!

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 5:11pm
Installed the springs and shocks today and with all aftermarket parts there's always an issue or two.

When I first put this car together I used a set of Espo leaf springs. I added a pair of Cal-Trac bars with stock shocks. Noticed the shock mounting post on the Cal-Trac piece doesn't mirror the original AMC. The original AMC is angled to match the direction of the shock. Guess Calvert Racing assumed the post was straight because that's how their parts are. I was able to get the stock shocks in place with no clearance issues despite this.

The new split mono leaf springs went in pretty smoothly.

The Calvert Racing shocks are wider on the bottom than the stock shocks. When I went to install the them it was clear the shocks were going to have an interference problem with the exhaust.

The good news is there's plenty of room on the axle tube side. I may be able to solve this by correcting the shock post angle problem and move the shock back towards the axle. I'd rather not do any exhaust work if I can avoid it.

Edited by Rebel Machine - Mar/04/2018 at 5:14pm
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 1:29pm
It is not good to have the bottom of the shock on a bind like that. Ultimately it puts a side load on the valving system.
(I work for the company that makes those shocks)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

It is not good to have the bottom of the shock on a bind like that. Ultimately it puts a side load on the valving system.
(I work for the company that makes those shocks)

Good to know, thanks for the info! I'll post updated pics when I get the mounts modified.

-Steve-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic