TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spindle Bolts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RovDyr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spindle Bolts
    Posted: May/06/2013 at 6:15am
Hi

Some former owner of my 71' Javelin apparently went a bit desperate and for some weird reason replaced the spindle bolts on both sides... Not only that, apart from being far from the original dimensions then he also welded them onto the splash shield on the passenger-side... wow
So obviously, after bolting them off and cutting them off I want to mount some bolts closer to the specs of the original bolts...
But were do you get those bolts? I've tried APD and he had none (well apart from those included in his disc-conversion set).

So do anyone here have the specs/dimensions so that I can dig them up at a bolt/nut store?

I need 2*2 of the long bolts, 2*2 of the short bolts and the nuts for all 8.

Oh btw, it's for a disc-spindle setup (dunno whether the drum spindles bolts are the same).

Thanks
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 7:16pm
Post an add in the wanted section, you will get a better response. I am sure someone will be able to help you.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
69amxr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 7:31pm
I replaced mine when I rebuilt my front suspension, 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch grade 8 fine thread.  I bought from: http://monsterfastener.com/search.aspx?s=HCS8-241&psku=1&pcat=1&pkey=1
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 10:09pm
I replaced mine, too, but I bought them from boltdepot.com.  Grade 8 SAE thread.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
RovDyr71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RovDyr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 12:57pm
Thanks for the response guys

That was just what i needed...
Well except, I'm at a loss about the length.

If I measure (which I just did yesterday) the combined length of the spindle, the adapter (for the caliber-mount), the steering knuckle, the steering arm and add half an inch for the nut (but leave the splash-shield out), then I get:
- 4-1/2" for the long bolts (those which goes through the steering arm too)
- 3 1/4" for the shorts ones
(I incl. the hex heads on the old bolts too in the measurement, they're a pretty standard height)

Which means I'm a whole inch off on the long ones and almost an inch on the short ones...
So that's weird, which makes me think... Am I measuring something wrong? Do I have some wrong parts involved? (because with the things I've seen done to this car, it's definitely possible) or did you get your measurement from another model than a '71 Javelin?

A sub question, does the setup have any washers/locks involved?

Btw, another curiosity, the bolts on the passenger-side had coarse threads... Strange...

Thanks again
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 2:23pm
I'd suggest you get the length you measure as it seems to me I had some that long.

7/16" fine thread grade 8 is stock, the coarse thread was doubtlessly used because he wanted to weld on them Dead or who knows.

I don't recall any washers, you want the head at the spindle end as the nuts will rub the hub.

Edited by Wrambler - May/08/2013 at 2:26pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
69amxr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 4:19pm
I agree, get the length you measure. Mine is a 69 and it may be different.  Mine had lock washers under the nuts.  I bought all grade 8 hardware.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 9:02am
Grade 8 fine thread bolts are available at any nut and bolt industrial supply house. You must use grade 8 lock washers and nuts or you defeat the grade 8 rating. Softer "no grade" washers are too weak and will crush under load.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
RovDyr71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RovDyr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2013 at 12:17pm
Roger that, thanks all

I'll buy the size that I measured, Grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock-washers.
And on a '71 Javelin, it seems to mean 7/16-20*3" UHL and 7/16-20*4" UHL

I'll buy it all at summit, unfortunately in 25 piece boxes, but I need a lot of other spares from there and I figure I know at least two other 71'-74' Javelin owners here in Denmark which can use some new bolts too...

: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-199-330 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-199-330
: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-199-340 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-199-340
: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-200-8636 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-200-8636

Btw, yeah I can get grade 8 bolts and stuff in the hardware stores here, only problem is they're all metric here in Europe. Which is why I have to be a bit anal about it, since I have to have it shipped across the atlantic and it's a living monetary nightmare to return goods from here.

I'll write some feedback in this thread when I bolt it all on so that 71'-74' Jav' owners can look it up for their 'future spindle bolt needs'.

Thanks again.

Edit# I have no idea why I can't get the hyperlinks to work. They just keep on appearing twice without being clickable.

Edited by RovDyr71 - May/12/2013 at 12:28pm
RASelkirk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RASelkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 1:56am
Originally posted by RovDyr71 RovDyr71 wrote:

...Edit# I have no idea why I can't get the hyperlinks to work. They just keep on appearing twice without being clickable.

I'm on 8 different forums and this is the only one that does this. I have to manually add the [url] and [img] tags to make it work.  All the other forums do this automatically. Guess it's a software issue...

Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic