TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

# speed shifter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1strlcuckoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: # speed shifter
    Posted: Sep/08/2015 at 6:36pm
I am in need of a shifter  for my 74 Gremlin 3 speed as the original is shot Cryand with the cam, headers, 4bbl it needs replaced or I need an AMC 4 speed tranny to swap in. All help appreciated.Clap
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2015 at 6:53pm
that Gremlin has the T-14. (I have the same transmission in my 74 Gremlin, Mine is completely stock) I sure don't know where to get a shifter.....
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2015 at 7:07pm
I've got the 3spd shifter from a 77 Gremlin, but that's a T-150.
I doubt they're the same.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2015 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I've got the 3spd shifter from a 77 Gremlin, but that's a T-150.
I doubt they're the same.

I bet they are the same.  And as to the shifter being shot, the wear parts are replaceable and are available I think at the AMC vendors. The plastic double barrel bushing is the main part that wears.  

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
1strlcuckoo2 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1strlcuckoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 4:03pm
Could you send a picture to my email? hallosey@aol.com and what you would want for the shifter.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1strlcuckoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 4:04pm
Joe, I went to all the venders I know of and none had any replacement parts for the shifter. Do you know who might?
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2015 at 5:06pm
Does it look like this? Photo courtesy of Kirkwood.

I had this setup in my ’72 Gremlin 232 and the shifter tip kept slipping between the two rods because the bushing was so worn out. Eventually it blew 1st though as it had no synchros into 1st and I lived in Duluth (a city built entirely on a hillside). I replaced it with a synchro’d trans from a Gremlin X 258 car that the Hollander said wouldn’t fit but did, the only difference was the shifter was moved back an inch or so and I just covered the larger hole with a larger boot.

To get the $50 trans out the junk yard guy backed his Caterpillar up to the Gremmie, drug a chain across the roof and smashed out the passenger side glass and quarter windows with the hook on the chain, looped it around the door post, and then pulled the Gremmie onto it’s side with the Cat. Then he ran the torch hoses across the car and proceeded to cut the driveshaft, crossmember, and I can’t remember if he cut the bellhousing or unbolted the trans, but the whole smoldering works fell on the ground in a heap. “There you go - pick it up” he said.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1strlcuckoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2015 at 5:06pm
So far Blaser is the only place with any shifter parts and for three bushings they want $110 plus shipping. Might have to pay that much but..........
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1strlcuckoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2015 at 5:09pm
That is it!
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2015 at 6:07pm
Those bushings are just crying to 3d printed. Anybody here have the technology? Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic