TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spark Plugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 4:56pm
What tsanchez said. If you wish to see what color the plugs are when the engine has been under load and at a higher rpm, you'll need to operate at that parameter, and clean cut the engine so it goes directly from loaded/RPM to entirely shut down.
We used to come out of turn 10 at BIR under load and racing rpm to a complete engine shut down just before the pit entrance  and then immediately after lifting off the throttle and putting it in neutral. The car would coast into the pit area, we'd let it cool for a bit or wear gloves and pull a plug to see what it was happening at high rpm.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 7:07am
I usually put RC-12YC champion spark plugs in all of my street builds. This is a good spark plug due to it's 5/8 hex design and this makes it much easier to remove plugs with headers. They last quite well with MSD Ignition. For racing NGK for the track. A lot colder for max performance....Jim
Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2016 at 11:22am
Good info on the rc series vs rn. I just went to Remflex header gaskets and the larger hex is really tight with the flange being moved out due to the thickness.
I'm trying the 9yc now over the 12 and it seems to have improved my detonation problem in my 10.5-1 motor.
Seems like in the 70s AMC changed from 12 to 14 heat range. Not sure why because even the earlier low compression motors used 12s.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2016 at 12:34pm
The change in plugs was probably something to do with lean burn and emmissions issues. Everything went lean and hot and retarded at that time. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic