TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

spark plug gap increase?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spark plug gap increase?
    Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 3:06pm
Just put in a petronix ingnition and coil in my stock 304. didn't want to fool with points. I by-passed the resistor wire and the car runs good. My question is, should I increase the gap of the stock plugs to get a better performance 
cindys1971
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 3:20pm
With that I would go to .040
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 9:15pm
I agree.  .040 would work well with the stock coil.  Any more and the extra current may heat up the coil and shorten its life.  If you went to the matching Pertronix coil, you could run .050 but that would only put more load on the cap, rotor, wires and plugs.  If you plan to run lean for mileage or boost it the it would be worth it.  I think I would go to the Pertronix coil to match the points eliminator unit better and keep the gap reasonable. 
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 8:22am
With an aftermarket coil I split the difference and run .045"

It allows a little room for wear and I haven't had any issues at all with it.
I generally check the gap every now and then. I don't drive it enough to cause any concern about wear during the warmer months.

The plugs and wires are so old they a both Splitfire brand! When I do take them out I'm going to build them a little museum exhibit!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
ddfarm View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 10:22am
Actually I am running a Flame Thrower coil from Petronix so I think I will try increasing the gap to .045. I also have very good wire on this motor.
cindys1971
gwryder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 10:59am
I put a Petronix II with a Flame Thrower coil (1.5 ohm). I wired 12 volts direct to the coil and regapped the plugs to .040. I didn't notice any difference in power. I think I could go with more gap, but .005 increase was enough for a start.

John
John
70 AMX

ddfarm View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 3:17pm
I am going with the .045 and see what happens. Will increasing the gap create a difference in gas mileage. I do not drive this vehicle to get good gas mileage! but it would be nice to know what this increase will do.
cindys1971
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2014 at 6:42pm
Just remember that spark gap controls the system voltage.  Wider gaps require more voltage to establish an arc.  The greater voltage with a wider gap increases the stress on all of the components in the system, wires, cap, coil,  Go slow.  If you hit the limit on some component, you many get misfiring/cross-firing, and all the other undesirable results of too much gap.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 7:24pm
IMO if the fire is getting lit then there is nothing to be gained by
any changes other than timing. If the fire is intermittently failing to light
then more hotter spark is a good thing.6PackBee is correct, but it is the total
gap that determins voltage. That is the gap in the distrubiter  added to the plug
gap and any resistance in the wires.

The bigger the gap the vigher the voltage, but a drop in amperage.

Set it where it runs best. There is nothing to gain by getting creative here....
Start cross firing and there is a LOT TO LOOSE!

Gremlin Dreams
ddfarm View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 5:15am
With the system that I have (petronix ignitor and petronix coil, performance 8mm wires but standard dist cap), do you think that a .040-.045 is too wide?
cindys1971
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic