TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spark Plug Failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 1:22pm
Over the past 3 years, all I’ve received have been “clear” plated.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen an NGK that wasn't clear or yellow zinc. Anyone?

Amazon and Ebay both have plenty of counterfeit items; ebay is terrible. I buy the high $ plugs from Rock Auto; hopefully they're legit

Interesting and good observation Steve. I concur and have not seen one in what appears to be black zinc. ? A knock off plug might explain a failure of this nature. I've always felt NGK was a very high quality plug. Of course that doesn't mean it cannot fail.

Rich Corsello
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 4:40pm
As long as he has the remains, should be easy enough to check.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Ram Air Rick Ram Air Rick wrote:

Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen an NGK that wasn't clear or yellow zinc. Anyone?

Amazon and Ebay both have plenty of counterfeit items; ebay is terrible. I buy the high $ plugs from Rock Auto; hopefully they're legit

Interesting and good observation Steve. I concur and have not seen one in what appears to be black zinc. ? A knock off plug might explain a failure of this nature. I've always felt NGK was a very high quality plug. Of course that doesn't mean it cannot fail.

This is interesting because I didn't know counterfeit plugs were an issue. But there is counterfeit just about everything else - especially ball and roller bearings, so why not $15 spark plugs? I use Superfeet insoles in most of my shoes, and Ebay is absolutely full of counterfeit ones- the majority sold there are probably fakes. The genuine ones are ridiculously expensive, like $40/pr, so it's easy profit to make a copy and sell it for $15.

And why are there black rings on the porcelain? Is that from the boot? Or actually there from new?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 7:57am
Im trying to recall the timeframe, maybe early 80's with fake motorcraft and fram parts surfacing. I remember some of the images of the filter elements only being a vegetable or soup can inside that was punched full of holes.
Who would have thought it possible to make a filter worse than a genuine fram.LOL
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 6:01pm
In general spark plugs are reliable to the extreme.

But in my life time I have seen two fail for
manufacturing defects and one damaged a cylinder bore.

That said there is bound to be a one in a million failure, and your it :-)

I would never condemn NGK for one failure.

Edited by Boris Badanov - Jan/16/2020 at 6:03pm
Gremlin Dreams
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 8:42pm
I had a Champion plug (20 years ago) that had a bad center electrode insulator.  When held it looked fine.  When installed it failed.  The center electrode ceramic slid down to the grounding electrode and captured the spark.  That was fun to find.
Mike
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

In general spark plugs are reliable to the extreme.

But in my life time I have seen two fail for
manufacturing defects and one damaged a cylinder bore.

That said there is bound to be a one in a million failure, and your it :-)

I would never condemn NGK for one failure.

I agree and I don't think anyone here is; anything mass produced will have some amount of defects and resulting failures. But I also don't think that is a genuine NGK plug. The one in the linked video earlier is a great copy- this appears to be a poor attempt - just printing NGK on a plug that looks like no NGK I've ever seen. Something the guy in that video didn't point out is that a very obvious difference between real and fake NGK he had is the profile at the top of the metal portion where it transitions to the ceramic.
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2020 at 9:31am
I just saw this on an Autolite 3924 in an aluminum head Ford FE 427 (Edelbrock heads), it didn't separate but it was leaking. I installed them in the summer, so they were about 6 months old. I also saw an NGK in a VW race engine where the ceramic around the electrode cracked and separated from the plug and was sliding up and down the electrode. That was determined to be too hot a plug. Turns out, the owner got confused with how NGK heat range numbers work, and installed a hotter plug when he wanted a colder one. So probably a defect, but watch those heat ranges on the crossover plugs. Good move swapping brands. And if you do have a mix of fake and real NGK plugs, comparing the number stamps on the base of the plugs may tell you that. 
cosbysweater View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosbysweater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2020 at 3:35pm
I've had ngks do that to me before but they snapped off below the nut and were very difficult to extract. It happened when my 4.8 vortec started ingesting coolant on the number 7 cylinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic