TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

spark lead for the 195.6 OHV...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spark lead for the 195.6 OHV...
    Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 10:58pm
so i'm re-visiting spark timing for the 195.6 OHV i have in my roadster... its the motor i built for my '63 American; mild cam (from Galvin's), balanced, ported, exhaust equalized, Weber 32/36, and importantly here, a Ford EDIS-6 wasted spark ignition with a MegaJolt Lite Jr computer.

OMFG this motor wants a lot more spark than any distributor will give -- even my modified distro maxed out at 33 BTDC -- i am now happily running 34 degrees at highway speed and load -- 2500 rpm/65mph, 40-50 Kpa manifold.

the 63 American was stock, but the roadster is very very light, i'm hoping 2200 lbs, but will find a local scale to measure. at lower loads its running 36 - 38 degrees -- no pinging or ill behavior.

i'm driving to tucson (from los angeles) this weekend, i'll tune and measure mileage etc and report back.

am i the only one pursuing performance in this engine today? LOL

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2014 at 8:13am
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5442
best $100.00 I ever spent ...
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2014 at 10:26am
Tom,

Take some video of your roadster out on the road.  I'd love to see it.  What's in the 63 American now?   joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 12:14am
Originally posted by toolmanxiii toolmanxiii wrote:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5442
best $100.00 I ever spent ...

woah! can you tell us more? it's hard to puzzle out exactly what that box does?

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 12:27am
just got back tonight. damn it ran well!!  had a nice surprise when i got home...

i'm running a Stewart-Warner electric speedo with a pickup on the driveshaft. calibrated it fine.

the drive from LA to tucson, 60 - 65 mph according to the speedo, i got 26.9 mpg. the car is LIGHT. in the 63 american, this same engine in got 24, 25 mpg best case. from tucson to LA, driving 70 - 75 mph, i got only 24.4 mpg. not bad!

i moved the tachometer into the roadster, from the '63, as well as the complete driveline, 3.78 axle, t96+OD, engine, etc. i have a spreadsheet that i've had for years, which calcs rpm vs. mph and it's very definitely tested to be within 1% of physical reality.

on the way home (Tucson to LA) i held it to 2800 - 2900 rpm as much as possible. got home in 7.5 hours elapsed, including three stops. in fact, 2900 rpm is 82mph! the little sucker was flying!

it was windy and the car is light. passing 18-wheelers, the drafting effect was substantial, i mean, pulling up alongside 20 feet from the nose pulled the car faster A LOT, engine revs increased. there was one instance, one VOlvo tractor, where i almost could not pull past the pressure front at the nose of the tractor -- engine at 2900 - 3000 rpm, throttle floored and for the first time in years, the engine pinging loudly. with cars behind me on an upgrade i had to press ahead. it pinged hard for close to a minute, once i broke the air barrier it shot ahead. that was the one worst-case situation.

so i found this engine's limit (and timing limit) but man, i'm skipping the idea for a 199/232 upgrade. unless i blow it up.

i drive with the spark map i left with, didn't want to mess with it, thoguht i'd get some real driving on it. it's fairly 'advanced' now; at highway speeds it's in the 30's (degrees). i'll do the tuning on the shorter runs to work, 35 miles.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 12:34am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Tom,

Take some video of your roadster out on the road.  I'd love to see it.  What's in the 63 American now?   joe

the '63 is a disassembled unibody, now. it's sad! not ditching it though! will attend to it later.

i did take some video, i will upload and post it this week.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 5:04am

Although mine sure did run good for a lot of years I'd back off a bit on the advance. I used to time by ear to the point of pinging and at 120K overhaul the top ring grooves were considerably wider by maybe .015". 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 7:27am
Unless the advanced timing/ping is an issue, I don't think you'll ever blow it up, short of some catastrophic part failure. Forged rods and crank, nice thick block. It won't spin up real fast, but once up to speed throttle response is good. It's the idle to 2000 rpm time that sucks! Once around 2000-2500 rpm it responds reasonably. It needs a shorter stroke and bigger bore!

I don't think I posted here, but told Tom, about a late 50s Nash Rambler tearing up the six cylinder class in the mid 60s somewhere. I have (somewhere!) a hot-rod magazine (may not be HR itself) with the 1/4 page article. The guy took the 196 block, bored 1/8" (about the max), and used the crank from one of the shorter stroke older engine (I think 172.6, which has a 3.75" stroke... 196 has 4.25", 184 has 4.00"). I did the math then... IIRC the 3.75" crank and 3.25" bore gave it 186 inches. He also used the OD trans and 4.10 gearing (the L-head engines in the older cars used 4.10 gears instead of 3.78 with OD).  Now this was an L-head engine, but the rotating assembly is the same in the L-head and OHV except for pistons. The L-head uses a flat-top piston, the OHV and offset dome. Getting a piston for the OHV to keep 8.5:1 compression would be a problem though.
Frank Swygert
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 9:06am
All it does is take the pulse signal from your dizzy and holds it to the next timed spark . the same as new electronics do .  the thing I like is I can set the advance curve to match any engine cam fuel combination and set it where it works best  and has a wider range than any mechanical and/ or Vac advance .  
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 1:28am
well for what it's worth here's a brief video driving east on I10, between Blythe and Phoenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwUDyNBaHY&feature=youtu.be

i decided against messing with spark timing on the long drive; i'll do so in the next few weeks, on my nice standardized drive to work, 35 miles up the I5, LA to Valencia.

also, i found i made an error calibrating the speedo; 2800 - 2900 rpm is actually 75 - 81 mph! no wonder it took me only 7.5 hrs to get home (tucson to LA) with three stops and 30 minutes of stop-n-go backup due to an accident. and why i ran into the "wall" passing that Volvo tractor.

the SW speedo calibration is a PITA, in short, you press a button at the start then end of a one-mile section. no way to "tweak" error.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic