TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sound deadening for a '70 Javelin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound deadening for a '70 Javelin?
    Posted: Oct/06/2019 at 6:29pm
Hi All - purchased a 1970 AMC Javelin 360 SST about a week and a half ago. New to the site, its great to see such an active following. 

Loving the car, but looking for ways to reduce vibration and noise. Any advice? Does the hood insulation work? If so, can you recommend a specific product (recall the 1970 has the ram air scoops on the hood)? Also considering placing some sort of sound insulation in the trunk. Appreciate the help! 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2019 at 8:16pm
Hi Colin!

Welcome! The '70 Javelin is a great pony car to have! Enjoy!

I'm a guy that keeps things stock, but I'm sure there are some ways you can quiet your Javelin down a bit. Just remember, we've gotten spoiled by quiet, modern vehicles. Any 1970 pony car is going to be noisy and harsh by comparison.

First-do you have stock exhaust, or headers? What do you have for mufflers?
Second-there is factory hood insulation that will help a little...not a lot, but a little. Any of the AMC vendors can supply it.
Third-if you're replacing carpet, put down a heat/sound shield like Dynamat (just Google "heat and sound shield for cars").
Fourth-consider what tires you're running. Some will be nosier than others.
Fifth-What do you have for an air cleaner? Stock?  AMC engine fans also tend to be noisy, but a flex fan should be a little quieter. Those were standard with A/C or HD cooling, or you can add one.
Sixth-You didn't mention if you have a 4-speed or automatic. The T10 is fairly noisy in the first 3 gears, and should be quieter in 4th. If you're into a modern transmission swap (5 speed?) you can get engine revs and noise down that way.

Maybe someone else has ideas. My wife would suggest "turn up the radio!"

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Intense Blue AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intense Blue AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2019 at 9:48pm
Check out a product called lizard Skin ... two products one is spray on sound control and the other a spray on heat control ... easy to use. https://lizardskin.com

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2019 at 10:14pm
Ramblin, you make me laugh! You have just listed virtually EVERY single noisy item on my car! I think I tick every box and yes, it is somewhat noisy. 

-Headers
-straight through mufflers
-fan
-stock ram air cleaner housing, no baffle
-bias ply tires
-T-10 trans, complete with 1-3rd "whir"
-stock underfelt

Yup, it is truly a trip back in time to drive a stock musclecar. It is a total experience!

Chris 

PS: On a slightly more serious note, you should also check out ways to keep the side windows sealed and make sure the fuzzies and weather stripping are all good. 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2019 at 4:03am
Treat it the way AMC treated the Concord and Eagle, which are as quiet as a modern car inside.

-Soft suspension bushings.
-Extra care in engine, drivetrain, and wheel balance. This is VERY important.
-Dynamat throughout to stop panel resonance. Even the trunk and doors.
-THICK firewall pad and under carpet pad. Literally one inch thick.
-Thick carpet.
-Soft weather strips.
-Each exhaust pipe (if there is more than one) gets a large muffler and a catalytic converter, or a resonator instead of a converter. All hangers are rubber and the outlet is as far back as possible. Double wall pipe, all welded joints.
-Good intake muffling (air cleaner snorkel design).
-Soft tires with fewer tread belts and a ribbed tread design for less noise.
-Thick cast iron exhaust manifolds rather than tubular headers.

Hood insultation in my experience makes the car quieter on the outside, not inside.

Most engines even with hydraulic lifters still produce some valve noise. Changing from thin stamped steel valve covers to thick cast aluminum ones makes them quieter.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic