TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Soldered Joints, Crimped Joints

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by TX390AMX TX390AMX wrote:

Most of us on here are at an age when we SHOULD be considering more fiber!

Haha!!!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 2:17pm
That explains my wife buying whole wheat bread for me - and celery.... I wondered about that.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 2:47pm
Fiber? REALLY?

not me,

more beer.......
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2018 at 5:15pm
Beer is made with grain so it must have fiber, right?
And as far as joints, I try to stay out of those these days..
the only joints I deal with ache. 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2018 at 6:40am
No one that posted here has disassembled a ~1967-74 AMC wiring harness? The main alternator wire joins the harness in a soldered joint- the most important wire in the harness. IIRC there are several other soldered joints in a factory harness -fusible link? I don't know about other years so this may have changed.

The military and aerospace also uses soldering- someone posted a picture of an Amphenol style connector- the wires are typically soldered into the back side. Years ago I had a friend that worked for Lockheed and he said that everything was soldered in the C-130 wiring, no crimp style connectors.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2018 at 6:55am
At our age I believe it's fiber they use to shove up you know were to see if you have had enough fiber!
My neighbor 86, still driving his classic cars by the way, his wife has him eating "rabbit food" and now sends him out for V8 - he states "not only have to eat the stuff but now drink it too!!!".
"*ell with V8, I'll take my straight 8 and a beer". 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2018 at 9:31am
Nope, never been into an AMC harness.......... never built or rebuilt any, either. Never wired any cars from scratch, or removed any harnesses messed up by fires, etc.. 

I know there are soldered joints - but last time I mentioned it here I was told "then it's not original" or "then someone has been into it" even though I knew better.
I've done AMC wiring since the early 1970s......
I currently have two 68 quart tubs full (and I mean PACKED FULL) of AMC harnesses and parts (mostly from 64 through the mid-70s) and another 32 quart tub with mostly NOS sub-harnesses and wiring connectors and pigtails. I have another harness I'm using as needed for my own 73 (interesting how the alternator output wire and the link for the horn relay are connected)

Part of it may be that many people believe for it to be a soldered joint they have to see a glob of solder and the mess of human soldering. 
A lot of soldered joints in electronics and industry are automated (ever seen printed circuits and electronic devices being made up close and personal? I worked at CCC - high end control systems with harnesses, connectors, and complex boards. .Then there was CEMENTECH where I did consulting work on their networking and other equipment - they make concrete handling equipment for military and industry and there were specs for the thickness of paint on each part.)
Some soldered joints have very very little external sign that it's soldered - until you try to open it up to re-use some of the parts and realize that just relaxing the crimp doesn't release the wires.....

There isn't always someone sitting there with a soldering iron or gun and getting cold joints, excess solder drips, etc - sometimes the connectors are pre-tinned, sometimes wire is pre-tinned - just add heat. Sometimes things go through a "bath" of molten solder. "it depends". I watched the manufacturing process for those control systems (some of them selling for close to a million bucks)

I'm in the middle of two major AMC re-wire jobs right now. A Javelin and an Eagle. the Eagle is getting a NOS (from the AMC bag, not a painless) engine bay harness, I took parts of the old one and made some harnesses for the Eagle wagon I sold, and did a major re-wire of the inside and the back end harnesses.
I am having to sort out the mess under the hood of a Javelin.

It's what I do, but I got tired of being told there were no solder joints in cars from the factory, so stopped saying there were and started avoiding it for the most part and sort of joking around.

I was happy just knowing better in this case. Too many others "knew better" even if they hadn't been into even one quarter of the auto harnesses I have.

Combined an AMC harness with a Jeep harness -  a marriage of wiring, and yes, some soldered joints. 

Made a custom harness using parts from two cars and a Jeep harness - 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic