TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Smoking engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2019 at 8:51pm
Lash caps maybe?
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 5:50am
Don't take that much material off the seat, you are VERY likely to
have cracks later!

In FACT (as I look at the blue print) you are likely to break through
just cutting that much material away.

I.M.O. DONT DO IT!
Gremlin Dreams
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 7:03am
I don't know your setup but You may be able to install these:
Really depends on your"about" dimension, but 0.050" on the spring is not going to make huge difference on it's performance. Shimming and geometry is more important once you are this close, my opinion.

Edited by Trader - Aug/06/2019 at 7:05am
Mikel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 8:00am
Thank you guys.

Trader - Those spring retainers, would they work with a 3/8" valve stem? If they do, I suppose removing 0.050" would not be too risky.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 8:11am
Mikel,

What is the part number of your springs and of your retainers?
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Mikel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 8:41am
Springs: Lunati 74600K1
Retainers: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9720

Thanks.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 4:51pm
I really don't know if the retainers would work.
 The spring number 74600K1, when I search comes up with dual and single springs with 7 and 10 degree retainers??? The 3/8" valve size seems the only thing consistent.
Maybe just having a bad Google Day!
I would suggest asking the Lunati Tech. And I would not machine for the 0.050", your going to have slightly higher seat and open pressures and not within spring bind. Again, ask Lunati Tech.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 7:49pm
There are single groove 10 degree locks available that will give +0.050", Lunati 77116-16. That would be an easy way to get a little bit additional room.

With those in play you'd still be 0.093" from coil bind and most people look at 0.060" as the minimum.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Mikel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I really don't know if the retainers would work.
 The spring number 74600K1, when I search comes up with dual and single springs with 7 and 10 degree retainers??? The 3/8" valve size seems the only thing consistent.
Maybe just having a bad Google Day!
I would suggest asking the Lunati Tech. And I would not machine for the 0.050", your going to have slightly higher seat and open pressures and not within spring bind. Again, ask Lunati Tech.

These are double springs. From memory, these had a 1.5" OD and came with 10 deg retainers.

Thanks.
Mikel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

There are single groove 10 degree locks available that will give +0.050", Lunati 77116-16. That would be an easy way to get a little bit additional room.

With those in play you'd still be 0.093" from coil bind and most people look at 0.060" as the minimum.

Thanks. I'll have to see if they offer the same in four grooves!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic