TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Smog pump seized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2015 at 1:16pm
It's the bolts that hold the pulley on. Early ones used 6 mm and later ones 8 mm. (That's how NAPA lists the differences) I ran a non-aerobic cat with a gutted pump and passed the e-test many times.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2015 at 2:06pm
I don't need to pass emissions, I just want to keep my car intact. I'm weird that way.

I thought they were threaded SAE 1/4-20? That's what threads into my factory (date coded to match the car) pump. Oh well. I guess I'll find out when the new pump comes in. I'll still try to rebuild my factory one. It's always good to have spares around.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
ajax451 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 12:09pm
I think i might have a smog pump out of my 77 Hornet lying around.  I'll check tonight when I get home, if you're still in the market for one.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 4:55pm
The smog pump is pretty much generic and while I have not needed to buy a new one, but used junk yard sourced used ones quite often, and have used those sourced off of GM engines. Rebuilding them though has not been very productive.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 8:10pm
I bought a $40 one off ebay. Installed and working well.

I kept my old one and will someday figure out a way to replace the front bearing. I'm always figuring out ingenious ways to keep my cars going even after parts supply dry up, so these are things I need to keep and learn to do myself.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic