TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Small car exhaust clearance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small car exhaust clearance
    Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 6:08am
I've run into a bit of a problem with my Gremlin and exhaust manifold clearance with the 360.

The car had previously been converted to right hand drive and the engine has been shifted across to the left to provide clearance for the steering being on the wrong side. The upshot of this is that the car was able to run free flow manifolds on both sides of the engine.

I'm in the process of putting the steering back on the left as it would have been from the factory. The problem now it that I don't have enough room for the steering to clear the manifold on the left side.

I know I have a couple of options like shifting the engine back across to the right and running a log manifold on that side as they did from the factory or I could also modify the strut rod bracket and still run the free flow manifold on that side.

Just wondering if there are any other creative solutions out there that don't require moving the engine across?

I know some of the Jeeps ran a log manifold on the left side, but does this allow any more room for the steering?

Custom header are not really an option at the moment either.

My steering column is in pieces and I can't really mock it up at the moment, so I'm wondering is there is any scope to run thinner spacers under the steering box to shift the steering shaft closer to the inner fender?

Couple of pictures for reference:

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 6:18am
Donno how the shift was done... Assuming the mount brackets were modified, you may use US and Canada motor brackets to place it back to proper location. Hehehehehehehehehe! 

If the cross member was modified, you could save it for a right hand drive build engine swap, or sell or trade up with a member who would like to make a right hand drive build.

The last option would to custom make brackets with an offset. 

A better image of the cross member and engine mount from under will help in any further ideas.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 6:23am
Somebody had made their own V8 conversion cross member and it rund large car engine brackets:

Finding a factory V8 cross member and the log manifold for the right will not be easy in Australia, that's why I'm looking for other options that might get me out of trouble.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 6:58am
Since you have a custom made cross member... It may be worth trying, since motor brackets are tall, to cut both engine brackets and shift them 1.5 inches to the right and weld with reinforcement to evenly distribute weight and torque. They will obviously work for their proper location as one will have -1.5 and the other +1.5 inch offset.

Unless you are willing to cut the mounts on the cross member and shift them to proper positions then the later option may be cleaner and about as much work.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 7:06am
Moving the engine across would introduce the problem of the free flow manifold and strut rod bracket wanting to share the same space on the right. I probably only need about 1/2" more room on the left for the steering and might be able to get that just by putting a spacer under the left engine mount.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 7:18am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Moving the engine across would introduce the problem of the free flow manifold and strut rod bracket wanting to share the same space on the right. I probably only need about 1/2" more room on the left for the steering and might be able to get that just by putting a spacer under the left engine mount.

If that is all you need... then that will be your option. If a slight rotation away  from the left will allow plenty of room. 

I thought you needed more clearance on the left, as things are tight for a steering box. Then I remembered,  all things are a bit more tight in the engine compartment for v8 swaps.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 7:34am
Mill .125 off the port face.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 8:01am
I did think of something like that but 0.125" is not enough, it would need to be more like 0.500" and then the manifold won't clear the head, even 0.250" per side is probably too much.
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 9:21pm
I have seen that some people have cut the flange off the right manifold , rotated it and have it welded back on.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 11:56pm
Finding somebody who wants to weld cast iron could be the problem there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic