TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Small Cap HEI for AMC 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 7:29pm
Bill, Petronix higher output coils have different ohm ratings like IIRC .6 instead of the usual 2 or 4. Maybe their modules last longer that way? Not knowing the science behind it I bought the recommended. 

I do find that the GM HEI and the Petronix conversion start the vehicles much faster for me that the old points systems ever did.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 7:37pm
I have never noticed a difference in starting - my Eagle before I swapped in the 4.0 actually started just as fast as the 4.0 does, and it didn't make any difference when I put in HEI - it was just fine to try. I simply wanted a very simple system, clean things up a bit, etc.
I put a conversion in my 68 Javelin when I had it - also zero difference. There's no reason it should start faster or better, really........... set the choke, hit the key, it should crank a revolution or two and start.- 

There isn't any reason for electronic to start better or faster IF the points system is operating and set at peak. 
That was taught us in classes - and has been my experience over the years. Never made a lick of difference on any of my cars. 

I had my 70 distributor checked out by a pro who operated a speed/performance magneto and performance ignition shop and he said I had my distributor points system set up so well it was the best he'd ever seen a points system perform - the bounce just wasn't there until the revs were way up there.
It was CLEAN. I had spent time on the distributor - got it running true, grounds were perfect, and I was running NOS points. He saw no reason for me to upgrade!

Edited by billd - Jul/22/2019 at 7:40pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 8:05pm
only advantage to electronic, or pertronix is they stay in tune much longer with less maintenance. The original purpose  of electronic ignition was emissions.  The EPA said in order to pass...the cars had to pass emissions without a tune up at 50,000 miles. And the reason for hotter spark was so it could fire a worn spark plug....performance was a side benefit. Im with Billd.  If the points and condensors are in good shape, and the distributor isnt worn, It will do just fine. My1974Gremlin with the 258 will start with the first hit of the key if I drive it everyday. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 8:15pm
I don't know if I am just imagining it but I think my Rambler engine has moved on occasion with just turning the key on. I am waiting for the day that it takes off without hitting the starter. 

Of the vehicles I have, the truck GM HEI and car Petronix units start faster than anything else. Everything else in the newer stuff must be HEI of some sort but these old ones start the best, providing of course that the carbs are feeling in the moment. 
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 8:32pm
The TFI conversion works well too. It uses the stock dizzy and it doesn't need to be removed from the engine to install it. Just add a spring kit to recurve and the proper coil. The MIU Upgrade on the AMC Eagle's Nest forum is the best tutorial to use. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2019 at 10:36pm
Quite a few have used the TFI conversion. the Jeep folks know all about it.
It can be done on any AMC that uses the Motorcraft ignition - even a 360.....
TFI = Thick Film Ignition.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2019 at 5:56am
The TFI upgrade uses a larger diameter cap than stock, but it's not as big and bulky as the GM HEI cap and IMHO looks better. In the article I linked it says for 78-90, but what it really means is you need a 78-90 AMC Duraspark distributor, which will fit any 64+ 199/232/258. It's a great electronic ignition comparable to the GM HEI. You can even use the more reliable GM HEI ignition module with it! Ford stopped using the Duraspark after 1987 and stopped making it about 1991. Jeep was the last auto maker to use it on the Grand Wagoneer 360 (used it on the 258 through 1990), it may have been used in some industrial engines after 91. The modules are all aftermarket and of dubious quality, so I'd switch to the GM module and maybe mount it in an old Duraspark module case. It need to be mounted on something metal to sink some of the heat away, can just be the fenderwell.

Edited by farna - Jul/24/2019 at 6:04am
Frank Swygert
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2019 at 6:34am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I don't know if I am just imagining it but I think my Rambler engine has moved on occasion with just turning the key on. I am waiting for the day that it takes off without hitting the starter. 

Of the vehicles I have, the truck GM HEI and car Petronix units start faster than anything else. Everything else in the newer stuff must be HEI of some sort but these old ones start the best, providing of course that the carbs are feeling in the moment. 

Many newer vehicles require a full revolution of cranking to find the zero point of the crank angle sensor.
I agree that electronic ignition is one less thing to maintain, but will not increase performance, a performance increase is usually noticed because the points are worn or out of adjustment, or the distributor is simply worn out.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2019 at 6:56am
You can get a performance increase at higher rpms due to the hotter, more consistent spark, but putting around town you wouldn't notice it. Once you start upgrading other engine components (hotter cam, better intake, bigger carb, higher compression, etc.) you start to actually need the higher energy spark, especially at higher rpm. Like you say, for most people, the electronic ignition just makes for quicker, easier starts and much less maintenance. Even spark plugs last longer!
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Quite a few have used the TFI conversion. the Jeep folks know all about it.
It can be done on any AMC that uses the Motorcraft ignition - even a 360.....
TFI = Thick Film Ignition.

and I believe for a stock engine it is a waste of money. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic