TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Small Cap HEI for AMC 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Cap HEI for AMC 6
    Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 7:07am
What are my options for a small cap HEI for my 258 in my 83 Eagle? I've seen them before, but they seemed to have disappeared. Thanks!
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 3:30pm
I think a mid-seventies Chevy six HEI with the remote coil is one part that would work.  You would need to change the distributor gear.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
recomer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I think a mid-seventies Chevy six HEI with the remote coil is one part that would work.  You would need to change the distributor gear.   Joe

Joe, I've seen that option. Was hoping there was one being made/sold. I've not seen a mid-70s chevy in a junk yard in a long time.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 8:45pm
https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/catalog/amc-jeep-232-258-40-42-6-cyl-hei-distributor-6511-blue_89835/
They have different colours.

I don't think it or GM regular HEI have a small cap. I guess the one with the remote coil is somewhat smaller, at least in height. I remember seeing one.

I am using a Petronix setup with an early Delco distributor that has the small cap. 

Edited by vinny - Jul/22/2019 at 9:52am
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 8:57pm
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 9:10pm
If they have one like that for a GM 230/250 then it could be adapted for AMC use, but I think that one for an old 40's/50's 216/235 is different. Don't know for sure though.

Edited by vinny - Jul/21/2019 at 9:13pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 6:54am
The older one is different. From this article it looks like you need a 1/4"-3/8" spacer between the block and distributor to put a 235 dizzy in a 250 (or AMC). They take that much off the base of a 250 dizzy to put it in a 235...

Personally I'd just run a Pertronix with a hotter coil in the original distributor. With the small cap you don't gain any advantage of the HEI except removing the points and wear. Pertronix with a hotter coil is just as good and easier  to install.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 4:56pm
Find an early Rambler 232 Delco and you at least won't have to do the gear mod. Otherwise there should still be small cap Delco distributors in early GM cars and P/U's with the 230/250 engine that you can do the gear swap to.

Petronix stuff is quite expensive though.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 6:36pm
Chevy pickup with a 250 and use a gear from a 81 or later AMC V8
Been there, done that - it's pretty simple. 
The gear is a perfect fit and is AMC, and the distributor fits fine BUT - you need to ensure it will go clear in with no gasket first as it may bottom at the pump. If it does, take a small angle grinder and extend the flats of the distributor shaft up a bit, keep the radius. You like'y won't have to go far up. Keep checking and once it goes clear in and hits the block with no gasket you will be fine WITH a gasket. 

This is simple. Just get the remote coil GM or Chevy 250 distributor, swap to an AMC LATE V8 (like 81 and later) gear and it fits fine, make sure it goes into the pump ok - grind the dist shaft if needed to extend the flat areas up, wire it all up - done. 
Full 12 volts - bypass the resistor or resistance wire. (actually I rigged a connector and took power from the Motorcraft system wiring and ran that way and it was fine...............)
Vacuum advance - hose from distributor to the PORTED vacuum nipple on the right side of the carb. Simple, works great.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The older one is different. From this article it looks like you need a 1/4"-3/8" spacer between the block and distributor to put a 235 dizzy in a 250 (or AMC). They take that much off the base of a 250 dizzy to put it in a 235...

Personally I'd just run a Pertronix with a hotter coil in the original distributor. With the small cap you don't gain any advantage of the HEI except removing the points and wear. Pertronix with a hotter coil is just as good and easier  to install.

Why a hotter coil?
A coil will ONLY output what it takes to fire the plug, so if the engine is physically and mechanically sound, no hotter coil is needed.
It's only a thing if the engine has faults - then it's a band-aid to overcome the engine's problems or the fuel problems. 
Even a gigavolt coil will only produce 20,000 volts if that is what's needed to jump that gap - then it stops building.
So a hot coil on a sound engine is a waste, it stops once the plug fires. 
You could do a hotter coil if you wanted to run .040 plug gap - but I'd not swap coils unless I wanted to run a larger gap or was compensating for other problems.
Compare 'em on a scope - the line won't be any taller.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic