TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Slip Yoke PROBLEM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvallerand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slip Yoke PROBLEM
    Posted: May/07/2010 at 10:37am
I have a Borg Warner T10 trans. The number on the front half is T10p-1b and the tail end is t10p-7a.

The shop i have it at says its a 28 spline out put shaft.

We are having a hell of a time finding a slip yoke for the trans. The one that the found and tried was supposedly a 27/28 spline for a ford trans. (its missing one spline thats supposed to be a keyway) It goes in about 1" and just stops...Dead with a clunk. its not a bur or something its a dead clunk.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have a slip yoke for a t10 or an m11 (they are the same).

PLEASE i need help.
It'll Be done soon...
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 10:38am
Think they are hard to find.............
bvallerand View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvallerand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 11:19am
alright problem solved. were going to grind down the inside of the trans case so the slip yoke fits.
It'll Be done soon...
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by bvallerand bvallerand wrote:

alright problem solved. were going to grind down the inside of the trans case so the slip yoke fits.
bad idea, I would bet the ford yoke is a different out side diameter than the amc yoke. I would find the amc size and machine the yoke to fit your trans. grinding on the inside of the taailhousing will only ruin it.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
bvallerand View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvallerand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 12:23am
the ford yoke fits the out put seal but once it slides in about an inch it hits casting. We aee going to take the tail housing off and if the part it's hitting is not crucial (ie bearing surface or something ) and there is enough thickness to not severely weaken the housing then were gonna grind some of it down. That way we will have a slip yoke that is much easier to find should somethibg happen to it. If something were to happen to the tailhousing I've had better luck finding t10s then the yoke so it will be less of a headache to replace. And if all goes well we will have an easy to find slip yoke.
It'll Be done soon...
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 12:38am
Originally posted by bvallerand bvallerand wrote:

the ford yoke fits the out put seal but once it slides in about an inch it hits casting. We aee going to take the tail housing off and if the part it's hitting is not crucial (ie bearing surface or something ) and there is enough thickness to not severely weaken the housing then were gonna grind some of it down. That way we will have a slip yoke that is much easier to find should somethibg happen to it. If something were to happen to the tailhousing I've had better luck finding t10s then the yoke so it will be less of a headache to replace. And if all goes well we will have an easy to find slip yoke.
I doubt it.  if it had been, they would have done it years ago.   AMC'ers dont like to spend money.
abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 3:06am
Ben, I know the slip yokes are hard to find for the T-10. I know Doug at american parts depot has a few laying around. But you are going to pay about 200-250 for it. FYI
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1973 AMX Javelin Pierre Cardin
1973 AMX Javelin Barnfind "Wifes"
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 8:42pm

FWIW, Based on the OP, and some other info on other sites, I decided to try to find an alternative yoke for my T-10.  Mine is not terrible, but not pristine either.

The Ford yoke that Summit lists for the C-4/T5/AOD will fit on the output shaft splines, but is 1.25" longer in the "slip" portion, and 0.060" smaller in diameter.  A new AMC T10 rear seal will seal up fine, but the 0.060" leaves a bit too much slop for my taste.  However, I'm sure that one could get a custom rear bushing made that would cure that, and just about anyone could cut the extra length off the yoke to make it fit the tranny.  The other drawback is the Ford yoke takes a 1330 joint, so you need one of the conversion joints, or mod the driveshaft.

Yoke is from Ford Racing, ~$50 at Summit.  They also have the conversion u-joint for ~$20.

Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 7:16am

Here's another Ford yoke that I believe would work if the barrel were machined down to fit the AMC T10 tailshaft bushing:

Again, it takes a 1330 joint, so would need a conversion joint or modded shaft.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 9:59am

( EDIT ) below info is suspected as may be incorrect based on later posts in this thread

Agree, T-10 Yoke Info saved from the forums:

Summit sells a 1350 Joint 28 Spline Yoke that fits a Ford C-4, AOD, T5 trans,
you have to turn the O.D. of it down to the size of the AMC T-10 Yoke,
and needs to be machined shorter since it's longer than the AMC T-10 Yoke.

Summit Web Page Yoke Info - For 28 Spline Transmission Yokes

Ford Racing #FMS-M-4841-B  $55
  Steel, 1330, Ford, C4 / T-5 / AOD, 28 Spline

Hughes  #HUP-HP8840  $113
  Ductile Iron, 1330, Ford C4, 28 Spline

Strange  #STR-U1668  $210
  Stn Stl, 1350, Ford C4 / T-5 / AOD / Tremec, 28 Spline

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Mar/15/2020 at 4:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic