TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shorty Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shorty Headers
    Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 6:02pm
 Are there any body using the shorty headers on a 68-70 AMX? And if so was there any clearance issues and can you install them from above?  Thank You

AMC Forever
waukman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote waukman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 8:56pm
last winter I installed them on my 1969 AMX with a 401

I put them on my engine while it was on an engine stand outside of the car, then I put engine/transmission/shorty headers into the car

I did some engine work while it was on the stand

They do fit and I have not had any problems with them, I am glad I did it

The driver side header is real close to the steering column, but again I have not had any issues

It would have been tough for me to install them with the engine in the car, I suppose it could be done from the top, especially if the brake booster is off or you do not have power steering

Initially I did mock up/place the drivers side header on the engine while it was in the car to determine if it would clear steering column, but I did not have to try and bolt it on which would have been tough
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 10:54pm
I've taken my engine in and out with them on each time, so haven't really tried. Seems like it could be done, but starting some bolts could be a little frustrating.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 3:38pm
When I did the original shorty header design for Edelbrock back in 04 or 05 I used my own 70 AMX for the prototype. That way I was sure they would fit some popular AMC applications as well as the Jeep which was our main sales target for the design. So yes, they will bolt on and off from the top.

The Pertronics shorty headers were developed from the original Edelbrock shorty header design.   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 11:01pm
I thought the Pertronix headers were really similar. I have their ceramic coated version and they’ve held up well for a couple of years now. I love you and your wife’s cars, btw Dennis. Seen you guys at a few events around LA.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic