TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area > Tool Tips and fabrication
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shop Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2016 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

I've been trying real hard to remember " man has got to know his limitations".........Getting old after trashing your back....... just sucks........

I have about decided... If I had to go to REAL work, for REAL wages, for a REAL living...I would get fired before noon on the FIRST day.......

Working in the shop....my my my my my

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2016 at 10:44am
Ollie, retirement in just under 400 days according to my wife. Much of this is to align things with that goal, and it's also to give me at least a little bit of life doing what I truly love, like and enjoy. About time I got back to what I want to do, what I know best. Like my wife's quilting - it relaxes her, she unwinds, has fun, but does and makes neat stuff at the same time. That's where I'm hopefully headed.

I've worked on this post since about Tuesday, copied, pasted, put into notepad and back, in the forum, out of the forum, rebooted computers, etc. and maybe maybe maybe on a short break I can finally finish it up or at least get it "good enough for now, it will have to do".

I'll be thrilled when this COLD windy weather and the extremely dry air goes away. It's driving my nose and sinuses nuts after the procedure last week.  I also need to ask what their definition of 3 or 4 days is...... it's Wednesday and I still can't breathe normally.

I hurt bad enough after getting home from work Monday night that I never got out to the shop at all, but I did do my homework on some more of the equipment a friend has been selling and Tuesday made a deal on more of the equipment. That will include his boring bar and all related tooling, a nice V-block stand he made to hold blocks so the cylinders are pointed up while boring and more.

OK, been trying to get back at this for since Tuesday. I asked about my nose/sinuses and am told I can expect trouble breathing, some pain or discomfort, etc. for a while and cold and/or dry air won't help. And then I start the next phase in a couple of weeks....... oh, fun.

Anyway, it's now Friday. I got a call that I can go pick up more stuff, perhaps even the rest of the stuff later today. I'm taking off this afternoon and am told to be there around 2. They have to call in help since Art has back and heart problems and won't be doing much lifting and pushing and loading. I'm going to TRY to load my engine hoist into the truck using my gantry crane. Wish me luck - the 73 has to move as well as a lot of other stuff just to get TO my engine hoist.
I'll have to chain and secure it into the truck, all inside about an hour time!!!!!

Cool - but then, geesh, the shop is standing room only narrow paths to get through as it is.
Well, it's better to have everything there so I can more easily measure and plan space and arrange things as needed.

wrambler - limitations? Huh? Maybe I need to look that word up - it could be important!
Yeah, I'm quickly learning about that part of life. It took nearly 6 decades, but, well, tips from forum members and friends and all, very helpful.

I am hoping with all things at least IN the shop instead of in 3 or 4 places scattered about, the garage, the garage addition, the lean-to, the trailer, under this tarp or that tarp, stashed in the back seat of the truck because I ran out of room in the garage and whatever - I can FINALLY get things in place and get back to work. I'm really close! I have the small bench almost cleared off again, the solvent tank is in place and ready, I'll try to get the blast cabinets working again this weekend and then even if the stuff is stacked to dangerous heights and it's trouble getting from the door to a bench, I can get back to the shelves of alternators and starters I MUST get done ASAP. No way I'll compromise quality so I have to get things to where I can do it right at least, but like my wife said - stuff will just have to sit in boxes and stacks, at least it's inside, so I can get these things done for others. Priorities, my stuff will have to wait.

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2016 at 12:43pm
My problem besides the health issues is I simply do not have enough indoor space.
I was going to by a 14X24' prebuilt garage/shed and my wife talked me out of it.
It was about $7,000 blocked and delivered, but built well enough my American could be parked in it and the lawn tractor.
  Instant room with little to no work on my part. I live on a hill and real buildings get expensive real quick.
We plan on moving when we retire in about 5 years, so I'm hesitant to get too carried away. I just want to get the place nice come sale time!
   My son had his sinus opened up when he was 3 yrs old as he had constant infections and an MRI showed the ones in his fave totally full! The doctor asked for permission to use the video to train with and said it was probably the worst case he ever did.
    My Luke is now 23 and has never had another sinus infection. You'll get there!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2016 at 6:46pm
[QUOTE=Wrambler]   

Five years is a long time, sure add some value to your place when you sell it. Good out building is money in the bank, in 5 years it will cost more.

I don't think you can build a big enough shop. I started with 2500 and added 800 sq ft. Heck, I could use more....

Played with my Rambler today so I am having fun.
Ollie
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2016 at 1:47pm
Saturday was extremely frustrating and pretty much a total bust after doing battle with the cell company over Internet service and equipment - mostly equipment. We, for the 2nd time in the last month or so, totally lost Internet. Frustrating when you had planned on doing some of the tax work online (sales tax, they REALLY want you to do it online)
That battle to 2 stores took pretty much all of Saturday if you count I also had to reconfigure my network equipment, DVR and other devices to make them play together again - and even after all that the replacement router lacks some features I had been using so I wasn't a happy camper at all Saturday - then Sunday I was feeling sick - I suspect the nose/sinus issues helped lead to it but I did everything I could to try to keep things from getting worse and it seemed to have helped.

Anyway, I've been dealing on the tools and equipment and my wife called me Friday AM and said "Donna called and said Art said to come over about 2 today". Yikes - That means take off from work, drive home swiftly, change clothes, get bundled up a bit as it's COLD, toss some stuff into the truck, just in case, and head out. Barbara took off from a quilting day to come help.
As it turns out, not a huge deal as he wasn't ready with the boring bar and accessories quite yet but did get the hone and brought it home and talked further about his big set of micrometers, library of books, cam bearing tools and a couple of other odds and ends.

The hone has some brand new, still in boxes, never been used parts with it and quite a few other pieces. Someone along the way added the belt guard which I may find cumbersome, in the way and decide to remove it. Otherwise, he had made a decent stand for it, with casters and had made a cover for the oil reservoir so that one could remove the tray but keep the oil covered to keep bugs and gunk out.

I'm looking for a manual for this thing - it's got a couple things I don't recall being familiar with when I was learning on these. That was years ago and I suspect I learned on a different model or models, possibly, but in any case, hope to find a rare manual to go with it.

Otherwise, other than TRYING to keep my nose under control and keep from having the cold dry air cause bad headaches, haven't gotten that much accomplished. It took some doing to get this unloaded from the truck and get it into the shop with things in disarray. I have a plan now for 2 areas to get stuff put away so I can get back to work.

1 = cover for oil reservoir when the tray is removed,
2 = belt guard someone added long ago.
Oh, and it has been repainted gray from the original Sunnen red. I prefer the red so some day or maybe more realistically, some year, it may end up "Sunnen red" again. But that's down the road since there's too much else to do right now.

Dang I can't recall what this attachment was for. I need the crazy book I guess, if I can ever find one. Been all over eBay and such on my breaks and time between waiting for computers and servers and such to do their thing.  -

Some new parts -

The removable tray -

Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2016 at 6:47am
Well I recognise the AMC's and a great deal of the parts, but some of that stuff I have no idea what it is. I must say however one impressive garage space, I am fortunate to find any tool at any given moment well done sir. Hopefully I can get back to my man space when it gets a little warmer...

Mark
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2016 at 8:46am
Admit it there just big boy toys. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Admit it there just big boy toys. 

Yeah, good one. True that.

I'm going to TRY to get caught up (HAHAHAHAHA) on messages and such later today as well but thought I'd toss in some photos of the new "toy" I picked up last Friday.
Gee, I thought Friday was going to be free and open to get something done, maybe put some things away but then Barbara says I got a call........ and it was assumed I was going to pick up the next item....... and so I get the pickup emptied and head over and get the boring bar.
Holy cow that TABLE is HEAVY. I know the boring bars are heavy - portable is sort of a joke unless you are the Hulk or something but the table...... the casters themselves weigh several pounds each. I know, they were sticky due to sitting and non-use. He had the table in place and didn't move it in recent years, instead doing smaller projects with the boring bar left on the table and the table left in place. I had to remove the casters, clean them up, lube them and 3 needed new "axles" due to wear, the wheels were hitting the caster body and rubbing as they turned.
I had to hoist the table up to get the casters back into the table legs. My engine hoist acted like it had a full V8 hanging from it.

And FINALLY, I made some progress putting things away! I now have a clear walkway! I can enter the door and walk past the east shelves and not have to squeeze next to the Javelin just to slip by into the rest of the shop.
I need to do the same now for the west side, and get the blast cabinets cleaned up and operational and in place again.
THEN finally I can get back to alternators.......... which have been on hold with no blast facilities, and inability to get to the bench and/or find TOOLS required.
But I feel better just a bit now because I can see progress, there's a solid plan for the next step or two and that gets me at least back to work - and I can put other things away in between projects.

Well, there's still clutter on the book shelves until I get that stuff either put away, or whatever is going to happen with it, but hey, I can get to this stuff and the shelves are now holding stuff instead of the FLOOR holding it all in stacks between the car and the shelves.

Yes, there's some empty spaces - not everything that belongs here is here yet. But then there's also some space for some of the stuff that was on the Eagle side of the shop, and hopefully space for the parts that no longer have a home in a certain blue cabinet as there's no room to put it back up!

This is where I work on the alternators/starters, etc. - and as you can see, well...... this is next.

And I can't yet get the blast cabinets back in place - shelves to finish in that closet under the stairs area, stuff to move or put away here so I can get cabinets back to the air supply and filter.
And with all the dealings with my sinuses and nose passages, DUST control is a must - so, I have to configure new/better dust control. Ugh, something more to do before I can even get back to work and use these things. But I'm told I'll have troubles if I don't try to deal with the dust, so.....

This smaller cabinet - bead blasting, is at least in the open so I can clean it up and get it going again. I had to put some stuff away and organize some things before I could even stand next to this - now I can walk most of the way around it.

The latest tool to enter the shop - holy crap, look at that bench back there. Yikes. Uh, no, please don't look, how embarrassing! Foreground only, ignore the background, ok?

This came with the boring bar - to hold V8 blocks in place.

Now I need an AMC torque plate............

The home-made belt guard was taking up room and sort of in the way so I removed it, won't need it in my shop anyway. This makes the hone take less space in the shop, not having that guard sticking back there.

And I rigged a place for that tray to hang so it wasn't in the way, freeing up more floor space hanging it snugly on the side here.

WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 2:02pm
Very nice Bar, Had a Vulcan/Storm but ended up selling it, never had the chance to use it and had to make some room. Funny but the one I had came from the same dealer that I worked at for 30 years. Found out that the owners son took it back in the 70's and sold it to a local Machine shop. At the time they thought the body shop manager stole it, When I bought my Lathe at the local closed down Napa the owner Joe and I got into a conversation and I mentioned the boring bar, He told me that Billy (dealers son) tried selling it to him but he new he swiped it. Very small world. The one I had actually mounted on the engine and it was still in the original shipping crate with the bill of sale in a leather pouch. When I worked at a Linc/Merc store in Ohio they were throwing a Engine stand away because it was old and hard to move around. owner gave it to me and I lugged that thing around since 1979.  Ended up selling it on Ebay. It weighed as much as an engine and was 100% cast iron. It was made for the Ford flathead blocks and mounted to the side of the engine instead of the back trans area. wish I could keep every thing but just don't have the room anymore, I do like your shop layout but before you know it it just seams to get smaller and smaller.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 2:19pm
[/IMG]
CCA makes a nice torque plate!
Tools are good !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic