TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shift Jeep transfer case while moving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shift Jeep transfer case while moving?
    Posted: Sep/17/2015 at 8:52pm
My recently-acquired '99 Cherokee has the part-time 4WD transfer case. I know this means to engage 4WD only under slippery conditions. (That's fine, its primary use will be as a snow vehicle.) However it's unclear to me which if any functions can be engaged while moving. With the Eagle it was easy, just flip a switch pretty much any time between 2WD and 4WD. Do I need to come to a stop with the Jeep to shift the transfer case?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by SensibleSpectaculars SensibleSpectaculars wrote:

My recently-acquired '99 Cherokee has the part-time 4WD transfer case. I know this means to engage 4WD only under slippery conditions. (That's fine, its primary use will be as a snow vehicle.) However it's unclear to me which if any functions can be engaged while moving. With the Eagle it was easy, just flip a switch pretty much any time between 2WD and 4WD. Do I need to come to a stop with the Jeep to shift the transfer case?

With certain years Eagles it was easy - most were stop, shift, go cars. They started the shift on the fly in 1984, can't recall which later year they then switched to full-time 4x4 without the 2 wheel drive option. But prior to 1984 you needed to stop unless you locked the front axle in and then simply shifted the transfer case leaving the axle locked at all times.
It was the axle shift you had to stop for and in 84 they removed the split axle, shifting only the transfer case in and out.

Gee, we've had I forget how many Jeeps over the years, Cherokee, Comanche, and Grand Cherokee and can't recall on the earlier ones how their transfer cases needed to be shifted.
There are owner manuals online for many of the Jeeps so perhaps that's a resource unless a member owns or has owned a similar Cherokee.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2015 at 8:18pm
Usually, you can shift into high 4 wheel drive while moving.   (Don't go into low range !!!)> while moving at speed in high .
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2015 at 8:53am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Usually, you can shift into high 4 wheel drive while moving.   (Don't go into low range !!!)> while moving at speed in high .
and ALL the wheels must be turning at the same rate........read none of them spinning on ice and the others not turning.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2015 at 10:01am
Good pointers guys - thanks!
bgeddes View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgeddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 8:11pm
NP231 is a shift on the fly box.  As a rule, most let off the gas and only shift while driving in a straight line.  

WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2015 at 10:37pm
My motto. if it grinds NO
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic